External Storage Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kirsch92, May 1, 2009.

1. kirsch92 macrumors member

I read this thread with much interest.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=680417&highlight=book+studio
    While I don't need quite the storage space that guy needed, I am trying to figure out the best solution for me. New to the mac world, I have new 2.8 gHz 24" iMac (pre 9400m). I want to be able to share (read and write) all of my itunes and iphoto files with all users on the machine, and it seems as if using an external drive requires the least amount of trouble to set up to do this.

I think I have 2 routes to go. I could get a raid 1 array like the WD Mybook studio II and forgo backups, using this as my raid protected file storage drive, though that post has me concerned about FW disconnection and Raid, which I don't quite understand.

Since I don't need much space, I noticed Newegg has the WD studio 320gig w/ FW800 for $80 each. I figure one for media, one for time machine, and I am done, no messing with raid.
    I also have a fairly new 320 gig drive in a windows/linux machine I could buy a USB enclosure for and use with time machine, since buying a FW enclosure is equal in price to the WD studio 320g drive.

I have been seeing issues with sleep modes on drives connected via firewire (WD especially), and have now researched my way into absolute confusion.

Any advice would be appreciated for this mac newbie.

Jeremy

2. FRKT macrumors member

Whatever you do, don't get a MyBook. It's like a portable discoteque in your living room. It blinks relentlessly for whatever reason and makes a tick-tick-tick noise that I'd rather be without. Oh, and lest we forget, it has a built-in "sleep" function that puts the hard drive to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity. It cannot be disabled.

If you don't mind the above, though, please buy mine. I have a 1TB Studio edition that I'll sell really cheap.