External Storage: Time Capsule / NAS / Drobo FS - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zebi, May 28, 2011.

1. zebi macrumors member

Anyone with any experience with the above. I desperately need to backup my Mac, also need some a NAS as I use a few computers.

Would anyone recommend the Time Capsule 2TB as a NAS and Time Machine Backup? Should I buy a networked hard drive - I need redundancy of some sort and don't want to have to backup to DVD-Rs.

Also been looking at the Drobo FS / S- would anyone recommend it? Oh and anyone have any idea of read speeds?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Dear God, anything but a Drobo. Take a look at this instead:

Synology DS411j

Much better performance than the Drobo, and more features to boot. You could get that Synology NAS (you can find them relatively inexpensive on Newegg) and an Airport Extreme for the same price or less than a 2TB Time Capsule.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes to this 100%. I wrote a review about that Synology unit HERE. I used to have a Drobo2, and wrote about my problems HERE. You'll enjoy the Synology 100% :).

If you find that you need a bigger bang for the buck, an upgraded 411j is available called the DS411+II. Take a look at the Synology compare specs page HERE for more details. (In general, more RAM/processor = faster transfer speeds).