External Storage - What One/How?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quarkrad, Jun 29, 2009.

1. quarkrad macrumors newbie

I thought this was a USB connected device (I am looking at 1T - two 500MB drives mirrored). I have read that if using large file formats (yes - RAW) perhaps the way to go is something like Sonnet Temp SATA Express 34. There is a lot of 'talk' of Western Digital My Book but these only seem to be USB. Now I am a little confused - am I restricted (device wise) if I go Express 34 as it appears to have a specific I/F? I do not have a limitless budget and have seen external storage devices between £50 - £100. On a winXP machine it seems almost any will do but I'm not familiar with the mac world. Any advice would be most appreciated to a mac newbie!

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I've been using WD Mybooks for quite some time now.

They have different versions that come with different interfaces.

The lower cost ones are mainly USB 2.0.

But there are also some with ...
    Firewire
    eSATA

I have several, some USB 2.0 only, and one that has all three Firewire/USB/eSata. I have not had any drive failure with them, though on my oldest unit the Firewire interfaces seems to have died, but the USB still churns right along.

3. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

I bought my first externals when I started my new job (pro Photography studio/company). They use a bunch of WD MyBooks, so I can trust their decision. I went out and bought 2 standard WD 640GB MyBooks the next night. Only USB interface, but they're speedy and work great.

The piano black is a dust magnet though. :D

From what I've read everywhere, you can't go wrong with WD or Seagate. I know the studio I work for had 2 LaCIE drives brick on them before. :(

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

How are you planning on using the drive? As a backup?

If it is just a backup, you could just use the USB version. If you plan on editing directly from the drive (i.e., opening the file off the drive in Photoshop), I would suggest you buy a good Firewire drive.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

What is, "this"?

Don't worry about RAW file transfers so much. The type of external drive is only one part of this. (i.e. the type of CF cards you use is more important)

That being said... put that firewire port on your mac to use.

6. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

After a little more research I'm looking at:

a. Delkin Express Card 34 CF card reader
    b. Western Digital Mybook Studio Edition 11 1T

My basic requirement is taking photos on Nikon D700 - transfering them to Powerbook for editing (a above looks good) as Nikon has type 1 CF card and using b above for storage/backup.

As b is for backup speed is not essential although it does have Firewire. Also, as it is just for storage is there a cheaper alternative (other than devices with one drive)?

7. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Are you using a PowerBook or a MacBook Pro?

PowerBooks do not have ExpressCard slots, MacBook Pro's do. In your post above, it says PowerBook, so make sure you talking about the correct machine here.:cool:

8. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes - it will be a Macbook Pro, sorry for slip. Is other 'gear' OK?

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

ExpressCard? Is it the new unibody MacBook Pro? If so, only the 17" has an ExpressCard slot.

10. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all - I will be getting the17" macbook pro. So I have gone for a Express cf Card reader and a 1TB Mybook Studo Edition 2.