External Studio Drive Necessary With Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Erich Yeung, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Erich Yeung macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I'm about to buy an 8 core mac pro with one 640 gig hard drive. My question is basically about whether or not I should buy some external drives to use as studio drives, or if I should buy some extra internal hard drives for the computer instead? I'm trying to avoid the dreaded CPU overload message, and I have had to deal with it on my MBP for some time now, so I want to make sure I can do everything to optimize my new MP for Logic. Thanks guys!

2. avemestr macrumors regular

Step 1. Throw in a SSD.

Step 2. Add internal HDDs as needed.

Step 3. There's no step 3.

3. TomTomTuning macrumors regular

I would recommend putting an SSD in slot 1 and then get three large capacity (1TB-3TB) 3.5" drives for the reaming slots.

You don't necessarily need a SSD but the speed increase of a Solid State Drive is wonderful for the OS/Apps.

You can also get a PCIe eSata card and add some sort of external enclosure as well. This is what I'll be doing since I need a ton of space.

4. Erich Yeung thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks guys! So I should ideally aim for a system drive, samples drive, and project folder drive? Also Any suggestions for cheap, quality, drives?

5. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Put the SSD in the optical bay.

6. TomTomTuning macrumors regular

Yea, that too. :)