External SuperDrive fell onto carpet, stopped working...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Obsidian6, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

So I feel dumb, but my SuperDrive slipped out of my backpack and fell onto my carpet. I didn't think much of it a it didn't fall very far and landed flat on the carpet. I did burn a disc afterwards but it took an exceptionally long time to show up after verifying. Today I tried to play a disc and it wouldn't show up at all, I had to take apart the drive and pull the disc out.

Is there anything I can do to fix the drive? Or is my only option to buy another one?

2. markus843 macrumors regular

Why is this in the Macbook Pro part of the forum? Perhaps try posting this in the Mac peripherals section Here

Anyways, if it's broken it will probably be broken for good. The reader could be cracked for all you know. My opinion is for you to buy a new one.

3. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I posted it here because I pulled the super drive out of my MacBook Pro and put it into an enclosure. I just wanted to know if there was anything I could try to do to get it working.

Separately I was surprised to see the drives cost $200 used, are there any better options??

4. markus843, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

markus843 macrumors regular

Edit---
    I get it now, I think the best option is just to get the new/possibly used ones. Perhaps you can find a cheaper version of it on amazon or ebay? Maybe even newegg..

It wouldn't hurt to try what Mrbobb said also under this post

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U can try to disassemble it and make sure all the moving parts still move and have not "jump off the track" and make sure all connectors are seated properly. Will need tiny precision screwdrivers.