Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted

Anyone know of any decent reasonably priced external SuperDrives that one could pick up at a best buy or micro enter? My Mbp SuperDrive has had its last spin and I'd like to get something locally.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted

Is it advised to buy Apple brand? I've seen plenty of other brands that say they have Mac compatability.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
No, it's not required. I have an external LG DVD writer that I've used with both my 2008 MBP and my aluminum MB.

Also an FYI, the term SuperDrive only refers to a Mac's optical drive, and the term external SuperDrive refers to the Apple branded external optical drive for the MacBook Air/Mac Mini. The generic term is "external DVD/Blu-ray drive" just to avoid further confusion.

Lastly, the external SuperDrive is designed to work with the MacBook Air and Mac Mini, and AFAIK does not work with other MacBooks or MacBook Pros.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
OWC sells lots of different ones.

What model macbook pro is it? the swap is pretty easy on unibody models and not too bad on older ones

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted

It's the last 2006 model, the first core2duo model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.