External Thunderbolt 1TB SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gødspeed, Oct 2, 2014.

1. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Does this exist?

The closest I've seen is a Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt 500GB SSD. I like the Lacies, but am looking for 1TB for my on-the-go edit drive. Is it possible to open up the Lacie and replace the SSD with a Samsung Evo 840 1TB?

2. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

have you checked out OWC for a thunderbolt enclosure? I know they make the PCIe one

----------

did a quick search not the best looking thing but this should work

http://www.amazon.com/Delock-Extern..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02VH1EMQ5GBHSV4MMGF9

3. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

Thanks for the tip, that looks like a cost effective option. But I am leaning towards a bus-powered drive, as I must often work in the field where plug-in power options are scarce...

I dug a little deeper, and found the Monster Digital Overdrive Thunderbolt 1TB, with 500MBs read / 450MBs write. I don't know the brand, but it looks legit. Too bad that it costs $1000!

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

You could do what I did, buy one of these and pull out the hard drive and replace it with an SSD:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGTBH5T1.0/

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Last time I looked OWC did not sell their Mecury on the go pro enclosure without a drive. If you had one of them you should be about to replace the HDD with a SATA based SSD.

I put my Samsung 1TB in an Inateck USB3 enclosure that does UASP. It does read/write in the 400+ range. To get faster the SSD likely has to do PCIe instead of SATA.

6. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

7. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Do you absolutely need a rugged enclosure?

8. g4cube macrumors 6502a

For a retail product there is the Monster 1TB external SSD for $1000:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/HG0P2VC/A/monster-digital-1tb-overdrive-thunderbolt-ssd-drive

If you want to roll your own, pick up the Samsung Evo 840 1TB, or the Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, and swap it into the LaCie Rugged. Both consume power similar to or less than the SSD used by LaCie which is also a Samsung Evo. It works.

The Monster uses 2 mSATA SSDs inside so it works a bit different than the typical bus powered drive that uses a single 2.5" SSD device.

9. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

On a side note I was wondering if you knew if I can use my Lacie 2big and put in anything other than seagate drives in? Do you know if that will work? Only reason why I ask is because one of my drives broke and I bought another identical hdd to replace it.

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

There are two things to consider on replacing 2Big drives. First the power and data connection. Those are standard SATAII so that should be a check...provided the connectors line up OK when the new drive is mounted in the tray. Second, the 4 mounting holes in the tray match the holes in the drive, that should be OK.

Bottom line, try one of the drives you want to use and see that everything physically lines up. I would be surprised if there any problems on a standard 3.5" drive.

11. g4cube macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues with the HDD or SSD devices I have tried.

12. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

ok I am going to do a test run and try to run some western digitals in this enclosure to see if it will work. not a big fan of seagates

13. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

I don't absolutely need one, but it could be handy. I am a documentary filmmaker with some upcoming projects where I'll be travelling ruggedly for extended periods, so any gear that I can protect from damage is one less thing to worry about... but by the same token, plenty of my gear already is fragile, so one more piece of fragile gear isn't a huge concern.

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The throughput no better than via USB 3 USAP. You can get a Inatech enclosure for $19 on Amazon and a Samsung EVO 840 1TB for under $450.

So what makes the Monster worth a monstrously 50% cost premium?

15. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Exactly!

16. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

The Inatech looks like something I'd break within weeks. But the idea appeals to me. How about another bus-powered USB3 enclosure like the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini -- same idea, right?

17. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

18. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

OWC sells all of their enclosures empty EXCEPT for the small Thunderbolt bus-powered model :/

19. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

20. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

WTF does that mean?

I'd rather buy an OWC (I've bought two of them) Mercury On The Go Pro, saddled with a hard drive I can remove, than any of the other bus-powered thunderbolt enclosures I've seen... and there aren't many.

21. MCAsan, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

"You can't get there from here." is a very common phrase in English. http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/can't+get+there+from+here

You can't get an empty enclosure from OWC. So if you want that enclosure you have to go the extra mile (dollars) and get one with a HDD that you will then replace with an SSD.