External Thunderbolt drive for editing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smoulders, Apr 13, 2015.

1. smoulders macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone

Hi there.

I am undertaking a video editing project and need a min of 3TB storage and do not want to spend much more than £200

I have a 2011 imac which unfortuantely does not have USB 3 but does have a Thunderbolt port.

Something speedy for editing would be great although I know I will be limited by the 7200rpm HDD in the Imac. The minimum 3TB is the main issue here.

I was considering a G technology 3TB Thunderbolt drive which spins at 7200rpm but apparently they are very noisy all of the time which has totally put me off:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HF572ZM/A/g-technology-g-drive-3tb-thunderbolt-external-hard-drive

There is a Kanex Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter for approx £80 which would mean I could purchase a USB 3.0 drive and get more storage for the money, but with the £80 for the adapter the savings would be null and void.

Has anyone got any recommendations for either a thunderbolt or a USB 3.0 (if I purchased that adapter) drive?

Many thanks indeed for your help

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. smoulders thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi matreya

Thanks alot for the speedy response.

That does look ideal. Just wondering, as the ports are Thunderbolt 2, will tehy defiantely be compatible with the older version thunderbolt port on the Imac?

Thanks again

Nick

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Yes, Thunderbolt2 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt1.