External thunderbolt graphics for new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rmafive, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I Recently ordered a new retina MacBook Pro and I was looking into some externall gpu options for thunderbolt. I saw one from MSI that looked fairly inexpensive (but it doesn't look like it is coming out any time soon) and I was wondering what the current best option now. I can't seem to find anything that is out now.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

As far as I know there isn't one out yet.

Also keep in mind that a single Thunderbolt port doesn't quite carry as much bandwidth as some of the top end graphics cards use.

3. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

I have read that it is fairly close. It should be high enough for a mid range card.

4. Acidsplat macrumors regular

On the now previous generation MacBook Pro, some people have gotten the Vidock 4+ to work with a GTX 580, using a Sonnet ExpressCard-Thunderbolt adapter as a passthrough. Of course, only in Windows.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes, that's probably about right. Not sure if going from a decent mid range mobile GPU (GT 650M 1GB) to a midrange desktop GPU will be worth the extra cost of the Thunderbolt enclosure at this point.

6. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

It would probably make more sense down the road, maybe I will wait.

7. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Did you guys not see my post? :p

People got a GTX 580 working with a Vidock 4+ enclosure. That's last generation's top of the line. Plus, the GTX 680 uses even less power, so that will likely work as well.

8. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Link? The GUS II was expected months ago. So I was wondering if this has gone into vaporware status. MSI might just be wondering if the release of such product will hurt the sales of their high end gaming machines. Or technical problems? Who knows. But if MSI can pull this off, this would be killer.

9. tak550 macrumors newbie

10. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Yes, it would make more sense down the road when the 650m isn't enough to run any new game. Typically the CPU's age better, so upgrading the graphics card should do wonders.

11. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Since the two Thunderbolt ports are next to each other on the new Macs, I bet some crafty company will use both for I/O, providing enough bandwidth.