External thunderbolt hard drives.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
Where are there so few and many are so expensive? I figured the price would have dropped by now, but there is nothing really going on as far as development it seems.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Are you looking for anything in particular? Some of the TB2 drives have gone on some killer sales where I'm at. A lot of retailers around here have had the G-Technology Pro and TB Raid lines that use TB2 on sales for like half off their original MSRP. In some cases, they've been as much as 20-30% cheaper than buying just the bare drive that is inside the enclosure (Hitachi GST Ultrastar 7k4000, 7k6000, and He6/8/10.)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
TB will be royalty-free in about 10 weeks, that's when I'd expect TB drives to dive in price. Retailers are blowing out product IMO knowing that they will be giving TB1/2 products away to compete. Chill, wait for Jan 2…

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
For single drives, Thunderbolt has no advantage, if the computer has usb3 ports.

Only multiple drives in a case can take advantage of the better performance that Thunderbolt provides.

As an example, USB 3.0 2TB, bus powered Seagate HDD drives are at Costco now for $65.

I've compared this drive to my Thunderbolt version, and speeds are comparable. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

Of course your mileage may vary.

PS Thunderbolt is more expensive due to complexity, not royalties.

As for SSD versions, SCSI based SSDs will perform similar, too.

Only M.2 PCIe SSDs can reliably deliver better performance over Thunderbolt when compared to USB 3.0.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
For single drives, Thunderbolt has no advantage, if the computer has usb3 ports.

Only multiple drives in a case can take advantage of the better performance that Thunderbolt provides.

As an example, USB 3.0 2TB, bus powered Seagate HDD drives are at Costco now for $65.

I've compared this drive to my Thunderbolt version, and speeds are comparable. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

Of course your mileage may vary.

PS Thunderbolt is more expensive due to complexity, not royalties.

As for SSD versions, SCSI based SSDs will perform similar, too.

Only M.2 PCIe SSDs can reliably deliver better performance over Thunderbolt when compared to USB 3.0.
It does have one big advantage over USB even with slower HDDs for some of us - it does not cause interference with 2.4 GHz signals!!! That is a major reason I moved to Thunderbolt (and eSATA) - although for my SSDs, TRIM was an added perk!

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Re: 2.4Gbps wifi interference

Well aware of that possibility. Well designed, certified products and cables don't have that problem.

Many USB cables and products aren't certified, and all Thunderbolt products must be certified.

Main cause of USB issues are poorly made cables. Not only could they cause wifi issues, but they also can cause unreliable connections.

Note well: Thunderbolt products can also cause interference in some configurations.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Then I must be really unlucky considering how some of my IF-Certified cables still have that issue!!!!!

I did not realize TB could cause interference with 2.4 GHz signals - at least in my situation, testing the WiFi connection with and without my Thunderbolt connections attached made no difference.