External trackpad prevents clicking

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jynto, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

So I have this situation where my Macbook doesn't respond to any of my clicks with the built in trackpad. I do a hard reset, and it's still not working.. Then I realised, something was pressing down on my Magic Trackpad, which was on the other side of the room. This has happened before and it drives me mad.

When multiple pointing devices are being used, it is not possible to hold down the button on one and click with another. This works any way round - built in trackpad stops Magic Trackpad from clicking, USB mouse stops both from clicking, etc. I should clarify that it is still possible to move the cursor, and do touch gestures, including the ones that involve clicking. It is just not possible to click two pointing devices at the same time.

I think this is an unbelievably stupid design flaw. It made me think my computer had crashed. If I worked at Apple I'd kick some ass over this. But I don't, so instead I'd like to know: is there any way to fix this on my own computer?

2. simsaladimbamba

How is that a design flaw? How should Mac OS X know*, which input device should be preferred when clicking? If one devices is in the state of clicking, and you don't want that, disconnect the device. With the Magic Trackpad it is easy, use the Bluetooth Menu Bar icon to either disable Bluetooth or disconnect from the Magic Trackpad or power it off via the power button, you don't seem to use it, especially when it is located on the other side of the room.

* The same goes for those other flawed OSs out there.

3. takezo808 macrumors member

No your mac does not come with a "cup" holder either :rolleyes:

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

My suggestion would be to not have something pressing down on your other device. Seems like a silly waste of battery power to me.

5. Jynto thread starter macrumors 6502

Jynto

Ugh, typical fanboy responses: 'it's by design, dumbass' and 'you're using it wrong'.

6. simsaladimbamba

Do you expect to get help with that attitude? I guess so too.

But then again, you don't even ****ing know me but assume you do and call me something I am not. Has it occurred to you, that others may not understand why you use your devices like you do (two input devices for one computer - can be normal - but one of those devices several feet away stuck beneath something that puts pressure on it and triggers it)?

Again, show me the consumer OS being able to distinguish between two pointing devices and recognising which devices can be triggered and which cannot, all automatically!

**** that, wank someone else.

PS: Connect two mice to your computer (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X) and hold down the primary click button on one mouse. Does the other mouse still work?

7. Jynto thread starter macrumors 6502

Jynto

Lolwut?

Dude, it's not rocket science. If one of the pointing devices is stuck in a constant click (possibly due to having an object placed on top of it) then clicking with the other pointing device should cancel the first click.

You need to calm down.

FWIW, I tried this on a Windows laptop and a USB mouse. If I hold down the left button on the mouse, then click with the trackpad, it cancels the click. Simple. Even Vista does that right, Windows ****ing Vista.

8. simsaladimbamba

My bad then. I don't know how to help you in your case though, if shutting off the second pointing device is not an option.

And yes, I needed to calm down, like the rest of us do too.

9. Jynto thread starter macrumors 6502

Jynto

No hard feelings. :) You seem like a good person. If only all internet arguments could end this way.