External USB-C Drives are they worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wicked1, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

now that I have my rMB I was looking at getting a 2tb usb-c drive, or if they are not worth it I will just get a new external usb 3.0 drive as I already have the Multi-Port USB-C adapter from Apple so either drive will work.

Curious if anyone uses the new drives and how they perform?

2. evec, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

evec macrumors regular

I also have multi-port AV with a 2TB 3.0 usb-A drive (Samsung 2.5" 9.5mm )connected with it, not every 2TB external USB box can be used with multipart AV adaptor (may be not enough power or something the adaptor don't want provide power to driver), i need to buy a newer usb-a external box with latest chipset and change my 2TB harddisk to this box and it work, however i switch a 500G 2.5" hard disk to old box and work again so i thing it is due to power problem, may be new IC just use less power.

Buy a new usb-c drive need a usb-c > usb-a adaptor /cable if you want put the hard disk to tranditional usb-a port or multi-port adaptor.

As usb-a 3.0 hard disk may be cheaper and more choose and don't need adaptor/cable used on your multi adaptor and other computer, however if you want smaller size on the go , you can purchase a Apple USB-A to USB-C cable just 9 dollar now.

Their no any performance difficult between direct usb-c connect or though USB-A, all is USB 3.0 gen 1 with max 5Gbps connect.