External USB drive for 4th Gen Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mathemabeat, May 16, 2013.

1. mathemabeat macrumors member

Howdy folks!

I have a current model 2tb Time Capsule and I would like to add-on a USB external Hard drive to the TC.

Any issues with using a 4tb 4k sector drive with it? I did a quick google and searched here, but didn't come up with a definitive answer.

I plan to use the main 2tb drive in the TC as my time machine backup target and use the external USB drive attached to it as my media storage for all the computers and devices in my home.

2. ColdCase, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

TC has always been 4K compatible, same as the mac. Its PCs that have had issues, bandaids, workarounds, along with some duct tape :)

Now the max size issue is not so clear as drives larger than 3TB priced for the consumer don't appear to be reliable yet and are not widely used. 3TB drives work just fine and are commonly connected to TCs.

3. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I'm just wondering...do you feel the LaCie 4 TB Thunderbolt and USB 3 d2 external drive is not reliable? I'm not sure what brand HDD LaCie puts in this particular drive.

Thanks.

4. opinio macrumors 65816

Just a point that a few people don't realise (not quite in relation to your post), you can run the USB drives on TC and AE through a USB 2.0 hub so you can have multiple drives. I have 1 3TB and 2 1TBs plugged into it via a Logitech hub.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Folk's experiences connecting multiple drives to a AEBS vary widely. Make sure its a decent powered hub and the right kind of drive. Even with that I found one or two drives often disappearing and need to be reconnected. The net is full of these stories. The AEBS just doesn't seem to be completely solid handling drives, especially more than one. The TC seems to be better to me but using the routing function in conjunction with attached drives sometimes causes drive stability issues. One drive seems to be solid regardless.

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I recently purchased a couple Lacie 6tb 2big. They came with Seagate Barracuda drives which are supposedly enterprise class drives and the fastest mechanical HD's I've experienced to date. From the speeds quoted for the d2, I'd imagine they probably use a similar class of hard drive.

7. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info on the LaCie drives. They seem of high quality.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I just have a flash drive connected to my aebs for temp storage.