External USB drive not MOUNTING....HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jgw1283, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

I have a WD 250gb external USB hard drive that has about 70 gigs of stuff on it and I've had it for about a year. I haven't used it in a few months and now it wont mount. I used disk utility and it wont allow me to verify or repair disk permissions, they are grayed out. I used Disk Warrior and rebuilt the directory and it says the drive is NOT visible on the desktop, but all the files are still there so I know this isn't a case of the drive being erased or failing. I have had mounting problems on other external drives before but this time it's really annoying.

Does anyone know anything I can do to get this thing mounted? Thanks much!

2. Rojo024 macrumors member

I am having exactly the same problem with the same drive! I have not used in about a month and now the disk won't mount. The disk spins up when I plug the usb into my MacBook Pro, but then nothing happens. I get no recognition of the drive under disk utility. Are you using Time Machine?

3. G u I macrumors newbie

hi, same problem man,

and got a western digital as ewelll...****, i think is beacause it isnt formated with os journaled, but it must be possible to repair its permissions on windows or something , or with the terminal aplication, if someone would just plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,hey u genious come come out where ever u are....:D

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I agree that FAT32 formatting may be the reason that USB drives attached to a Time Capsule won’t mount in OS X. I doubt that the brand makes any difference. I have a FAT formatted 2 gig Toshiba USB flash drive that won’t mount in OS X but my VMware Fusion XP installation found it and uses it like a charm.

I hadn’t thought about trying to repair the permissions because I only use that flash drive as a receptacle for my Qicken2008 for Windows backup files. Thus, I don’t really need it in OS X.

5. dergy macrumors newbie