External USB Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hexonxonx, Feb 4, 2008.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Hi all

I bought a WD portable USB drive a week ago and it works fine on the right USB port where I originally added files to it from my MBP. If I try and plug the drive into the left USB port, the computer never finds it and the drives LED gets bright every 2 seconds or so. Is there anyway I can get my MBP to find the drive when plugged into the USB port on the left?

Thanks

2. littlevish macrumors member

Does the left port work for your other devices?

3. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, it syncs my iPhones and iPods all the time.

4. ZballZ macrumors regular

there is already a thread on this, do a search and you will find some answers...

but to sum up a bit:
    the WD drive requires 650-1000 milliamps from your USB port to run properly. Thing is, that a STANDARD MIN. REQUIREMENT for a USB port is only 500 mA. This is rarely a cause for problems, cuz most usb-ports can deliver more than this anyway...

There is a speculation (dont think its a fact, yet) that your USB-port on the right side of the MBP is connected directly to the power supply and thus delivers slightly more amps ... and your WD drive works fine...

The USB on the left is connected differently, and although it certainly supplies the USB-outtake with the standard requirement of 500 mA, it unfortunately falls short in order to make your WD-drive function properly...

As far as I have found out, there is no "fix" of any kind for this...

hope this helps.

AND; if you find a solution, please post it.

5. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

This makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation and I won't waste anymore time on this.