(External USB DVD) Will it Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BlueArctos, Jun 28, 2007.

1. BlueArctos macrumors member

I am very close to purchasing a new MacBook Pro and plan on using Bootcamp to install XP Professional at some point. I already own the Professional disk, but it is an upgrade version, and that does not work. After hunting around, I learned that the only reason the upgrade version does not work is because the disk can not be ejected at the "Insert Full Windows 98 CD" step. People reported that hooking up an external CD/DVD drive and placing the Windows 98 CD in that solved the issue. So, I purchased an external drive off of NewEgg, but I am not positive it will work with my MacBook Pro. To be clear, I do not need any of the software functionality or special button functions, all I need it to do is read the 98 disk. One poster claimed that an ancient (circa 1998) USB 1.1 CD drive actually worked, so I'm hopeful my new one will too.

Here is the drive: Lite-On SHW-160P6SU

Common sense tells me this will work without any issues, but I just wanted to check with you guys first. ;)

2. BlueArctos thread starter macrumors member

Decided not to get the previously mentioned drive. Instead, I went with this LG GSA-E10L because a reviewer actually used it in OS X without needing to install any software or drivers.