external USB enclosure for MBA (without USB Y Cable)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by durruti, Oct 11, 2011.

1. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Any recommendations for a 2.5" HD enclosure for the MBA that doesn't need a Y-USB cable to run (one that can only run on one USB cable). I'll take recommendations for bundled HD enclosures but would prefer external enclosure recommendations.

Something inexpensive on Newegg.com would be great. Thinking about pairing it with a 1 TB or 500 GB Samsung 2.5" HD [5400rpm]. Thanks.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have THIS one. Got it for free from OWC when I bought a SSD for my old MBP. Works like a charm. One connection only.

3. durruti thread starter macrumors regular

durruti

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

5. durruti thread starter macrumors regular

durruti

i need something simple. Just USB 2.0. Well built aluminum case would be nice.

6. lc25 macrumors 6502

7. durruti thread starter macrumors regular

durruti

nice one. I like the ventilation. Are the ventilation slits on only side or two? Thanks.

8. durruti thread starter macrumors regular

durruti

I recently realized that the newer MBAs have a higher powered USB ports so many more external drives should work with it with only one USB plug connected.

I have taken out of the drawer a Rosewill enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138
    works with a Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 2.5" HD with a 2011 MBA connected with the thicker USB plug of the USB Y-cable.

wanted to clear up any potential confusion.