External USB HDD Time machine questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doktordoris, Sep 18, 2010.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hullo all,

I just bought a nifty USB doo-dad which allows me to slot a sata HDD in the top of it and connect the drive to my MBP.

I had 2 500gig 7200 sata drives left in my PC box from my old PC owning days.

I have used one drive to keep all my movies and music etc. so it is safe for all time. I then used the other drive to keep a time machine back-up of my whole system.
    I am jolly impressed about how easy it was to create back-ups with time machine. But I dislike having to plug the drive caddy into my MBP.
    Is there any way to plug the caddy into my router and then have my MBP back itself up using wifi over my home network?

ta in advance for your help

doris

2. ljx718 macrumors 6502

nothing is going to be safe for all time. its all about multiple copies in different formats

3. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

gosh.
    Thanks for that.

Other than spouting platitudes can you help me with my question?

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

What you're after is a NAS solution.

Since your Dual-bay External HDD setup is eSATA/USB you're options are:

Swap your WLAN router for one that has a USB connection and mount it that way.

Get an external unit that accepts your HDD.
    or look for another solution.

5. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

If your router has usb and supports hdd's. As long as OSX can see it on the network it'll back up to it. Just tell time machine where your nas is. I have an airport extreme with a 1tb connected to the usb and got time machine backing up to it.

In fact here

http://hints.macworld.com/comment.php?mode=view&cid=92469&query=time+machine+nas

6. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

That's great, thanks both of you.
    I didn't realise it would be as simple as that, I have had a Mac for 5 months now so I should be used to the idea that with a mac the most sensible and easiest way of doing things is nearly always the correct way.