Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclogon789

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Hi,

I want to setup a fresh install of Catalina on a USB 3 SSD, and also have a Win 10 boot available (for a 2013 21.5 iMac)

My understanding is that if the USB drive supports it (say a Samsung T5), then TRIM can work on Win 10 but not Catalina. Is this the case?

Would it be better to have 2 separate drives of 500GB, with each dedicated to 1 operating system, or a single drive of 1TB? I would have thought that if TRIM is available for Win 10, then this would be potentially better (debate about whether TRIM is required notwithstanding).

I haven't seen this addressed in other posts, so appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Seems like getting windows installed on an external drive in Catalina is a pain, if not impossible. I can’t seem to get it done.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Seems like getting windows installed on an external drive in Catalina is a pain, if not impossible. I can’t seem to get it done.
It is also a pain getting it on Mojave,well it is on my 2017 5k IMAC .
I had to do it a few times on my Mac Mini 2012 like the op on here i used an T5 SSD. It went boot on my imac though. :rolleyes:I have tried it with VM FUSION but Mac want let me download Win to USB:rolleyes:As in the video
as you can see WinToUSB:
How can i get the Mac to download it
?* you can’t open the application “WinToUSB_Free.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS.*? it does not make any seance
And why doesn,t my T5 Windows boot when i click to start it up,it is not blinking either.:rolleyes:It works fine on my Mac Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.