External Using for PC and Mac... format type??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PatchMac, Dec 16, 2007.

1. PatchMac macrumors newbie

PatchMac

Ok, so I have Custom PC and an iBook G4, both of which I would love to use with my new Western Digital "My Book" External HD(500GB)...

I understand that on the windows side of things I can't write a file any larger than ~4GBs(For FAT32) to the drive, but my Mac doesn't have an intel so I'm hesitant to try adjusting my mac to read and write to NTFS.

Does FAT32 prevent my mac from reading or writing 4GB+ size files??

I plan on doing a lot of video editing, I can handle it of I can't write 4GB+ with my PC, but that could prove an issue if I can't write 4GB+ on my mac also.

What Format is best for me to use. I primarily use my MAC, but I do some active screen captures on my PC that I would transfer to the External for working on with my MAC.

I'll ask/say more after I get a few responses. If you do respond and are fairly knowledgeable on this subject, please check in every once in a while until I've resolved my issue?? Thanks a lot.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The maximum filesize of a partition format is determined by the format, not the OS. So FAT 32 has the same maximum file size whether you are using Windows or Mac OS.

3. PatchMac thread starter macrumors newbie

PatchMac

That is a shame really.

Guess I'll make due and try getting all the files that are less than 4GBs for now... I'll try cutting the others in half on my PC.

Intriguing though...

Thanks for clearing me up on the Partition being the limiting factor.

So unless anyone suggests to do differently I'll keep it in FAT32, copy all 4GB- size files and work the rest later.

I noticed a few different options when I was exploring Disk Utility. If there's anything relevant that I should know, that would be cause for me to use a different partition than please, someone let me know.

I'm off to do some more backup.