External/Virtual Storage - What do you use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SparkFlash, Feb 22, 2017.

1. SparkFlash, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

So I purchased a 256 MBP and for now I will be ok, but I am curious what all you use for external or cloud/online storage?

Dropbox? External HD?

I really like dropbox but its just not very fast obviously. And I don't mind an external HD but don't want to have something plugged in all the time.

Look forward to hearing your options.

2. leman macrumors 604

3. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

Dropbox, iCloud, etc is what I mean by virtual. But I guess I could trade that verbiage out for web based/online storage.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

I like Dropbox for things I am working on. But I keep movies/music on an external HD because I have > 1TB worth

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

FWIW, I'm currently in transition, myself. I use a combination of numerous (quite a few smaller) single external HDDs (not all at once), SATA SSDs, Cloud, and increasingly NAS. My external SSDs are usually for running VMs and for larger data files that may contain data requiring they be on their own (protected) drive. I also have several Corsair Voyager GTX 256gb flash drives, which use SSD controllers and essentially are SSDs in a flash drive configuration. My HDDs are for things I don't need fast access to, like videos, pictures, and older files, plus a drive for CCC to maintain a bootable clone of the main disk. Some of the HDDs have been duplicates if it is data not stored elsewhere. I use Dropbox but increasingly less in favor of (HDD-based) NAS, because I know what quality hard drives are being used, know that I have redundancy, and could access it via a wired connection if need be. I'm moving in the direction of reducing the number of externals, as some of my 2.5' HDDs are nearing the end of their service life, and most of the data they hold can be placed on the personal cloud with superior integrity. I've also recently started using DVD-Rs, which is ironic as I never used them when every computer I owned had a DVD drive built into it...

If you want wireless but something with more flexibility than DropBox or iCloud (size, speed, known security, and known redundancy), IMO NAS is worth investigating. For many people, it offers a single solution that can satisfy a variety of needs/preferences that historically may have required multiple mediums to accomplish.

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

a NAS (raid1 config) is my main storage - i dont store "anything" to my laptop - and i can access to it from anywhere and anytime if needed. When syncing for example work stuff i use GoogleDrive and the automatic backuping the GDrive to my NAS. The NAS is backuped to an external harddrive (if any serious drive failure happens).

Photos/vids taken by iphone or ipad are backuped straight to the NAS too.

I know i still should have another external backup drive to keep the stuff outside the home. Planning to buy one and store it at the work for example.

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I use a Glyph Atom Raid for my photo library, it is fast, light packs well and has a USB-C interface. If you don't need the RAID capability and are looking for a lower cost option, Glyph also has non-RAID Atom options in capacities as small as 275 GB, starting at $149. A Samsung portable SSD T3 can be purchased in a 250GB capacity for around $99

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I would never "trust the cloud" more than a "backup in the hand" that I can touch and boot from.

Indeed, I don't use ANYbody's "cloud" at all, except for a few pics (uploaded for access to others) on onedrive.com.

In a "moment of extreme need", NOTHING beats a bootable cloned backup that you can just plug in and boot from...