External vs. Internal Expansion???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bonesone4, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

I was, for the longest time, thinking of purchasing a 1TB external drive for my power mac tower because I shoot with an HD video camera and do a lot of editing but am now just remembering there are 4 expansion slots in the back of it!

Should I just get another internal hard drive to put in one of the expansion slots instead? I hear it's cheaper...plus, it won't take up any more room since it's going IN the computer. Thoughts anyone?

2. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

The internal will be cheaper and have slightly better I/O.

Thus said, an external could have an edge if you want to move the stored data between different systems.

Another factor that you might not have considered is to get 2 drives and build a RAID ... either a 0 (speed) or a 1 (reliability); what's best depends on what your data backup strategy is and if the TB drive is intended mostly to be a working scratch disk, or for saving completed projects.

-hh

3. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

What's your backup solution for this 1TB of data? If you have 1TB of data inside your Power Mac, you may want to get another 1TB as an external drive to back it up onto.

HB

4. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's mostly going to be used for capture scratch for Final Cut Pro and Shake scripts but also for storing final movies and completed projects.

Bones

5. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Remember to take into account how long you expect to keep your current computer and whether it will be compatible with future models if you are going for an internal drive.