External WD MyBook 500gb issue.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kalamus, Jul 19, 2007.

1. kalamus macrumors member

I just got my WD MyBook 500gb Triple Interface and got it set up on my iMac 24" C2D. It immediately poped up on my destop and I started transferring files. I first started to transfer my movies directory which is about 30 gigs. During that time I tried to create a few folders on the MyBook and it exhibited some odd behavior. First I created a "Pictures" and then a "Documents" folder. After I had done this I have 2 "Documents" folders and no folder for my Movies I was moving over currently. After the transfer was complete I still didnt have the Movies folder with the 30 gigs of movies I just moved. I checked on the mybook "Get info" screen at it said it had 30 gigs used. So they were there but werent displaying correctly. I rebooted the MyBook and it showed up fine. Anyone else experience that? Maybe it was because I was trying to create folders on the MyBook during a transfer?

Also I ran across something this morning. I set my downloads to automatically go to MyBook to be stored immediately. So I started to download a movie and it locked up my safari and Finder. I force quit both of them and now my WD MyBook isnt showing up. I cannot turn the MyBook off with the power button either.

Any ideas on this? I read the other thread about an External hard drive vanishing but I am at work at the moment and cant try any of those.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you disconnect it, you may be able to turn off your MyBook. Then turn it back on and reconnect to see if it mounts properly. The root cause might be Finder. It is the buggiest utility in OSX. Too bad I have to use it so often.

3. kalamus thread starter macrumors member