External webcam for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2contagious, Sep 15, 2010.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi,

What would you guys buy as an external webcam for a Mac Pro? An old iSight from eBay?

see you,
    2c

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I have an old iSight, and while I like it, I think the solution is really buying a display with a built in webcam. It is kind of annoying having this big webcam taking up space on top of your display. Better to have an integrated one.

That said, I know not everyone can afford to buy a new display (especially if they have a really good one as it is) so I am not really sure what to recommend in that case.

3. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

None of the monitors I have in mind have an integrated webcam.. I guess having a built-in webcam is more of a consumer monitor thing. I'd go for an Apple Cinema Display 27", but a glossy screen isn't really appropriate for what I do, so an NEC 30" or the old ACD 30" it is.. and neither have a built-in webcam.

Does your old iSight make loud focusing noises? ...and does it make a high pitch whine sound (if you put your ear next to it)?

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It does make focusing noises, I wouldn't call them "loud" exactly, but you can definitely tell when it's focusing. No high pitch whine that I can tell. I do make sure to turn it off (close the lens) when I am not using it though because it gets super hot and I worry about it overheating.

5. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Is there nothing new out there that's better than the iSight?