External Windows HDD on Mac??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by harry65, Jan 30, 2009.

1. harry65 macrumors member

Hi All -

My Windows machine finally bit the dust and I finally got a Mac Book :D However, I still have a lot of data on my old Windows drives that I can no longer get to because my computer will not boot up (I think mobo problems).

My question is this: If I get an external drive enclosure, put a Windows formatted drive in it (my boot drive and another non-boot one), and hook this up to my Mac Book via USB, will I be able to see all of the stuff on the Windows drive and copy it to my Mac Book (photos, iTunes songs, docs, etc.)? Or do I need to do something else to get at that data?

Thanks.

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Short answer, yes.

Assuming the drive is formatted NTFS, it'll only be one way though. Meaning you'll be able to copy from the external to your MacBook's harddrive, not the other way around. With that said, once you get your stuff off your old hard drive, you can format it to HFS and use the external for your Time Machine backups.

3. harry65 thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks!! I think that will be my path forward rather than paying someone to get the data for me.

I have NTFS partitions, FAT32, and ext3 (or whatever Linux uses). Hopefully I'll be able to see all three, but at least the NTFS one will get me most of my data.

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yeah, it'll read/write FAT, not sure about the linux base, possibly, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can help

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are extensions to OSx to read the ext2 and ext3 partitions - try google for 'mac osx ext3', but I've never tried it.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4