External Wireless adapter & Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Julien Aguet, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Julien Aguet macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been experiencing the "classic" connectivity issue (of which a lot is spoken of on this forum as well as Apple Discussion board, yet no solution has been found). I own a Intel iMac and depend on a smooth internet connection daily (I'm sure I'm not the only one...).

I recently received a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless adapter form a friend. Although the connection is great, it constantly causes a "kernel panic" with the classic grey screen freeze - quite annoying! I've installed the Ralink drivers (supposedly the only ones working on OS 10.5 and can be used with a D-Link since it has the same chip).

Although I've been searching the web for a better adapted driver, avoiding this constant crash, I haven't found anything quite as good.

So I'm asking you folk, if anyone knows a USB adapter brand which works with Leopard 10.5 (in this case, HAS been tested, not only written on the box as D-Link did).

Thanks in advance for any useful tips.

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

does your internal airport wifi card not work anymore? Just a little confused as to why you need an external USB one.

3. Julien Aguet thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, like I mentioned, I'm experiencing the currently only known connectivity issue since the last Airport Card firmware update. Apparently, many users are experiencing the same problem, unfortunately, on a sporadic level (it doesn't affect only a certain model or such).

My current internal card works from time to time but not regularly. In two words: it's unusable.

I'm tired on waiting on a fix from Apple (have contacted them and they made me aware of the current issue as NOT resolved up to today).

My iMac isn't within its guarantee anymore and I thus cannot send it in for a replacement.

Only solution: buy an external wireless card/USB adapter, but one that works! My current D-link isn't supported for Apple anymore, at least not for Leopard.

Any suggestions on other models?

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0031 1133010001&bop=And&SrchInDesc=Mac&Page=1

You may try looking at the reviews of some of those. It looks like there are a number of them that say they support OS X 10.3-10.5

Best of luck in your search. I wasn't aware of the issue, so sorry for that response earlier.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/d_1125/productDetail.htm they have OS X drivers right on their site so it might work. I have a few Rosewill external enclosures and they work nicely., but I can't speak for the quality of anything else they make.

5. Julien Aguet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the websites. I'll look into it.