external wireless antenna for my macbook pro...? which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haring, May 18, 2011.

1. haring macrumors member

I would like to buy an external wireless antenna for my macbook pro. I would like to browse the internet in my garden. The signal is very weak from my house so I was thinking that I should get an external wireless antenna which is more sensitive than the one already built in my macbook pro. basically, I would like to get strong wireless internet in my garden.
    Do you have any recommendation?
    Thanks!

2. PwcrLinux macrumors newbie

Hello Haring,

You can go to store and ask for "WiFi Repeater box". and then at your home need to set up in router's admin settings to get WiFi repeater detecting and you're all set.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

A repeater midway is probably your best bet. Just extending the range on the MBP won't necessarily help as using the internet is a bi-directional signal (i.e. if you don't extend the range on the router too, it won't help).

4. haring, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

haring thread starter macrumors member

It does make sense! I will drop by at the mall today. Do I need to get the repeater from the Mac store or any other repeater can do the job?
    I have noticed the signal changes according to how I position myself while I am sitting in my chair. Any advice on this?
    Thanks a lot!

5. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Search on Newegg instead of local malls. That will save you a good bit of money. Also, the installation should be trivial.

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup.. Also, if you don't have wireless 'N' you will want to get it. That will dramatically improve the signal in weak areas. You would need a new router instead of a repeater in this case.

7. haring thread starter macrumors member

hmmm.... I see. do I have to get a N wireless capable router? Let me look into this. Thanks!

8. haring thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Since you're in the Miami area, TigerDirect has a B&M store under the name CompUSA. They have amazing specials all the time - I got a refurb Linksys wireless N router for $15. Everywhere else it sells for $70.

It's on Biscayne Blvd. And NE 176th St. near Aventura.

10. haring thread starter macrumors member

I love you guys!!!! :)