extl hdd only shows up when booting with hdd plugged in/turned on.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheNorthWaves, Dec 1, 2007.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I have a 250GB sata samsung HDD connected through an Eagle Consus USB 2.0 drive enclosure. I bought it based on pretty good ratings from newegg feedback. The drive is partitioned half with FAT32 and half with mac osx journaled.

When I boot my Mini/10.5.1 with the external drive plugged into the usb port and powered on, the drive registers on my computer and I can do everything that I want with it.

When I then put the computer to sleep and resume from sleep later on, the hdd does not show up. I cannot get the hdd to show up again, even if I unplug/replug it/etc. Likewise, if I boot the computer and then decide to plug the drive in, it does not register. ONLY registers when booting with the drive connected.

Anyone have a similar problem? I can accept that my drive enclosure might suck, but I want to see what other people are experiencing.

Thanks

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

That's no fun. Did you make sure to erase the drive when you originally started using it to make sure it is the correct format?

Other than that, it seems like the enclosure doesn't place nice with a sleeping hard drive and it won't wake up. If you decide on a new enclosure OWC is the way to go.

3. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

First of all, is OWC a brand or a protocol? I was thinking of getting an icy dock enclosure.
    The disc was formatted in NTFS, I plugged it into the mac and formatted it entirely in the Mac type - and then created a FAT32 partition as well. The disc/partitions behave properly... when the computer recognizes the drive!

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

OWC is Other World Computing... an online store that sells perhaps its own branded items... Your drive was formatted just as I have done mine so perhaps you need to give OWC a call; if that is where you got the external hardware...

5. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

bought @ newegg... however, I am beyond the return date. It worked fine with my ibm thinkpad in ntfs.