Extra 3G/S Screen Protectors: Hole punch to fit iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by orange42, Jun 16, 2010.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I have a ton of screen protectors for my 3G still. Does anyone plan on using them on the iPhone 4 by just aligning them with the screen and marking where a hole needs to be punched/cut out for the front camera? I haven't heard of anyone mention this yet. Granted the screen protectors are literally about $2 for 15 on eBay, but whatever...

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I could be wrong, but isn't the face of the phone actually thinner?

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Why would you need a hole for the camera, exactly? It's already under glass, I don't feel like another transparent layer over it would matter.

However, as others have said, the dimensions on the new phone are slightly different.

4. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been under the impression that the overall phone is thinner, not skinnier in width. And I wouldn't want something covering the camera when you can just punch a hole in it, especially with the chances of bubbles and dust underneath it.

Looks can be deceiving, but they do look the same width http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

They are both the same height, but the 4 is about 0.09" narrower. Doesn't seem like it'll work.

6. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

That's what I thought, but they're the same height. So if the band was as thick as the bezel, they would also be the same width, if the screen was the same size.

8. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess we just have to wait and see, but something tells me it'll be the same size.

9. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

if you punch a hole it seems like dust and dirt would be more likely to collect in the hole, especially around the edges. I think you would be better off not punching a hole.

10. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

This is actually what I was thinking too.

But Im thinking I probably just wont even punch a hole...I dont think having the PS crystal film over a camera already covered in glass will make any difference. :rolleyes:

11. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a bunch of extra screen protectors so it wouldn't hurt to try. Might even throw one on the back.

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

The camera is already VGA quality. Maybe it'll get worse with the protector.:eek:

13. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Just buy Power Support crystal films for the 2G iPhone as they are 3ml smaller than the 3G versions.

I just had some delivered, very cheap too!

14. diegobgr macrumors 6502

I think iPhone doesn't need a screen protector. It's really hard to scrath the screen.

The back is another thing.

15. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

None of the current screen protectors (EDGE, 3G, 3GS, or even the iPod touch films) will fit the iPhone 4. Not only is it narrower, as other posters have said, it is actually a bit taller, too. The only reason the phone is the same height is because there is no longer a chrome bezel adding to the width/height of the phone.

That being said, many of the cases being announced will likely include a screen protector or two, as was the case for previous generation iPhone cases.

16. advres Guest

advres

If they don't work, I'll take a couple of your hands for you.

17. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Will do me until the real thing is in the stores...... Only paid £2 for two PS crystal films, so not much too lose!

18. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

I know the screen is hard to scratch, but the main reason for me using them is to protect from drops...... May save the screen from shattering!

19. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

Right now I have a Belkin ClearScreen Overlay for the 3G on my iPhone 4 and with my iFrogz case on, the front of the phone is almost completely covered. I'm also waiting on the PowerSupport one to be released, but this one should do me fine until then.

20. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

I can't believe this topic hasn't been brought up more often...
    Has anyone out there tried installing a power support crystal film on the iphone4, I'm getting tired of waiting week after week for these companies to roll out with their product.

21. J400uk macrumors regular

Did anyone ever find out for sure if a 3G/ 3GS screen protector would work on an iPhone 4?

22. thoang77 macrumors newbie

It doesnt fit, I had one on for a while because I was holding out until PS released the iPhone 4 sets. If you align the speaker hole at the top, the hole for the home button is too high, so the screen is a bit longer it seems

23. J400uk macrumors regular

Right OK guess I'll have to buy a set of iP4 protectors then, thanks for quick response.