Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Extra 3G/S Screen Protectors: Hole punch to fit iPhone 4?

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
I have a ton of screen protectors for my 3G still. Does anyone plan on using them on the iPhone 4 by just aligning them with the screen and marking where a hole needs to be punched/cut out for the front camera? I haven't heard of anyone mention this yet. Granted the screen protectors are literally about $2 for 15 on eBay, but whatever...

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Why would you need a hole for the camera, exactly? It's already under glass, I don't feel like another transparent layer over it would matter.

However, as others have said, the dimensions on the new phone are slightly different.

Comment

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
I've been under the impression that the overall phone is thinner, not skinnier in width. And I wouldn't want something covering the camera when you can just punch a hole in it, especially with the chances of bubbles and dust underneath it.

Looks can be deceiving, but they do look the same width http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Comment

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html there is the 4

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/specs.html and there is the 3GS

I think the extra .09 width on the 3GS is just due to the bezel/design, not the screen size. I guess I may not know if it fits until I try it the 24th, but I ALWAYS have a screen protector on my phone.

That's what I thought, but they're the same height. So if the band was as thick as the bezel, they would also be the same width, if the screen was the same size.

Comment

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
I guess we just have to wait and see, but something tells me it'll be the same size.

Comment

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I've been under the impression that the overall phone is thinner, not skinnier in width. And I wouldn't want something covering the camera when you can just punch a hole in it, especially with the chances of bubbles and dust underneath it.

Looks can be deceiving, but they do look the same width http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

if you punch a hole it seems like dust and dirt would be more likely to collect in the hole, especially around the edges. I think you would be better off not punching a hole.

Comment

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
This is actually what I was thinking too.

But Im thinking I probably just wont even punch a hole...I dont think having the PS crystal film over a camera already covered in glass will make any difference. :rolleyes:

Comment

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
This is actually what I was thinking too.

But Im thinking I probably just wont even punch a hole...I dont think having the PS crystal film over a camera already covered in glass will make any difference. :rolleyes:

I have a bunch of extra screen protectors so it wouldn't hurt to try. Might even throw one on the back.

Comment

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Just buy Power Support crystal films for the 2G iPhone as they are 3ml smaller than the 3G versions.

I just had some delivered, very cheap too!

Comment

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
I think iPhone doesn't need a screen protector. It's really hard to scrath the screen.

The back is another thing.

Comment

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
None of the current screen protectors (EDGE, 3G, 3GS, or even the iPod touch films) will fit the iPhone 4. Not only is it narrower, as other posters have said, it is actually a bit taller, too. The only reason the phone is the same height is because there is no longer a chrome bezel adding to the width/height of the phone.

That being said, many of the cases being announced will likely include a screen protector or two, as was the case for previous generation iPhone cases.

Comment

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
I know the screen is hard to scratch, but the main reason for me using them is to protect from drops...... May save the screen from shattering!

Comment

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
Right now I have a Belkin ClearScreen Overlay for the 3G on my iPhone 4 and with my iFrogz case on, the front of the phone is almost completely covered. I'm also waiting on the PowerSupport one to be released, but this one should do me fine until then.

Comment

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
I can't believe this topic hasn't been brought up more often...
Has anyone out there tried installing a power support crystal film on the iphone4, I'm getting tired of waiting week after week for these companies to roll out with their product.

Comment

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Did anyone ever find out for sure if a 3G/ 3GS screen protector would work on an iPhone 4?

Comment

thoang77

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
SF Bay Area
Did anyone ever find out for sure if a 3G/ 3GS screen protector would work on an iPhone 4?

It doesnt fit, I had one on for a while because I was holding out until PS released the iPhone 4 sets. If you align the speaker hole at the top, the hole for the home button is too high, so the screen is a bit longer it seems

Comment

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Right OK guess I'll have to buy a set of iP4 protectors then, thanks for quick response.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.