Extra Account at Startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tjb1, Oct 5, 2010.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I now have an "Extra" login account named Other, when I go into this its blank for Name and Password. This happened after I tried to enable the root account but I couldnt find the "Enable..." box at the end and I stopped after I found terminal commands to do what I needed. How can I get rid of this account?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can get rid of it in system preferences. I have one of those as well. I created an "Apple" account so the genius bar guy could investigate an issue I was having at the time but never got around to deleting it. If you are sure there is nothing you need in that account, you can also go and blow away (drag to trash) the home folder for Other after you delete the user from system preferences. Be very very very careful dragging home folders to the trash. Unless you are low on disk space, it is probably a good idea to simply delete the account in system preferences and don't look back. If you ever decide to create a user called "Other" in the future, you will be prompted whether to use the existing folder or not.