Extra Antenna in my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guess, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Guess macrumors newbie

So I was replacing the hard drive on my 3 day old Macbook Pro to a 500gb Samsung when I noticed that there was a spare wrapped antenna inside my macbook pro.

I have a black one that is connected to the primary on my wifi card, a blue one that is connected to the aux, and then a gray one that currently has heat wrapping on it to prevent it from shorting anything.

Anyone know what this is for?

My understanding is that the old macbook pro's had 3 connections on the airport extreme, mine only has two, anyone know why?

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I really have no idea, but my best guess is that it is for the bluetooth.

Don

P.S.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help.

3. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I believe the current Airport Extreme has three antennae connections.

4. Xipper macrumors newbie

I know I'm off topic, but how is the performance on the 500gb Samsung? I am seriously tempted to order one. It appears it should be far better than the Fujitsu MHW2160BH that is in it now.

thx!

5. microq macrumors newbie

This is correct

Hey there, that is correct. It all depends on what type of Airport Extreme card is in your machine - Apple used two types based on two different chipsets, one Atheros (3 antennae) and also a Broadcom based card (2 antennae).

As someone here incorrectly comments - this extra antenna is not for bluetooth, there is a seperate bluetooth antenna elsewhere in the machine.

Hope that explains why you have an extra antenna.

Dave

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It depends on what network card your computer had; if it has the Broadcom card (which has better reception and signal strength) it uses 2 antenna; if you have an Atheros card it uses 3 antenna.