Extra Battery or external battery for MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NightStrikergp, Sep 12, 2009.

1. NightStrikergp macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought a MBP 15" at the end of Dec 2007. It has been great for my needs up till now. I went back to college and use it for note taking in my classes. Unfortunately after the first week I found that other then a couple days, I don't have a big enough break between my classes to recharge the battery and during class I am not even near a power outlet. As it is not I get 3-4 hours out of the battery fully charged which covers 1 1/2 classes.

I've been thinking of getting an extra battery from the apple online store as my school does provide a discount for it. But it might be more of a pain cause I'd have to charge 2 batteries seperate every night. My other choice is getting an external battery such as Hypermac but it is more expensive to go this route.

So I'm wondering if I can get some advice. Is it worth buying the Hypermac or should I buy the extra battery?

Hypermac- External 60Wh
    http://www.hyperdrive.com/HyperMac-External-MacBook-Battery-60Wh-p/mbp-060.htm

Extra battery
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MA348LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=Nzk4Mjk0MQ

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

I would get an external battery as you have stated. You don't have two charge twice. You can charge them separately.

Assuming your external battery has been depleted, you can rush off to your dorm or something during your break, have it charged.

While you still have juice on your mbp.

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Well, another option to complement a second battery:

http://newertech.com/products/charger_cond.php

Costs $150 but takes up to two batteries (Apple-branded and third party) to charge. Even is able to also condition in one of the two charging slots, too.

Could always throw the 2nd battery or both batteries in the charger overnight and grab 'em in the morning.

Also, may want to see if you might be able to optimize for power some more by tweaking settings, reducing LCD brightness, turning off bluetooth and wireless if not in use, etc. Won't solve your need for a second battery, but will help you get more out of each battery.

I don't have this charger and have never used it but have used their other products which are pretty good.

4. Meever macrumors 6502a

I've heard nothing but negative things about hypermacs.

Bad build quality, mediocre life, very heavy. The fact that the mac thinks it's connected to a outlet so it drains faster than on regular battery....

5. NightStrikergp thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know they had a bad rep. That sort of puts me off getting an external battery from them.

I do like the battery charger idea, charges both overnight and dont have to worry about swapping them. And it even conditions. I might go that route. Thank you for the recommendation

I guess my only remaining question is, the battery I linked from apple in my original post. Is that the correct battery for MBP 15" from December 2007?