Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
I have a PM MDD G4 which I use as a backup server. The data is extremely important and I need it to be as reliable as possible. The hard drives are Western Digital RE's enterprise. I cannot risk the hard drives failing. I have took it to pieces (ALL of it), cleaned it etc and then rebuilt it. The first thing that is important is the cooling, so I have taken the CD drive out and may be taking the GPU out. I have also re-thermal pasted everything. The hard drives are located underneath where the CD drive would be. I have just bought a new 190CFM delta fan (120mm). I have also got a 3 pin to molex adapter so it will run at full speed, so would the old 120mm fan be good where the CD drive was blowing air into the hard drive caddy? Obviously extra holes would need to be cut, but would this help or make things worse? I know it may sound overkill, but this data is extremely important. This IS critical mission.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The machine is designed to move air front to back, not top to bottom. I would think you'd just be interrupting the flow of cool air into the front of the machine by forcing warm-internal air downward with that fan. I would say leave it be. Just curious, why are you using an 11 y/o machine for information that is so critical?

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
Just curious, why are you using an 11 y/o machine for information that is so critical?

I'm not bothered about the computer failing, only the drives ;)

I also have another identical PM, a time capsule, cloud, secondary computer, Macbook Pro, 3 external HD's, and an internal backup HD in my mac pro - all with identical backups.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
How many drives are in it right now? One thing you could try is to stand the G4 on its front so that the ports are at the top. This will use convection to help move air through it. You may be able to even switch around the four handles so that the two bottom feet ones are on the side with the optical drive door so it can stand on its own.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
How many drives are in it right now? One thing you could try is to stand the G4 on its front so that the ports are at the top. This will use convection to help move air through it. You may be able to even switch around the four handles so that the two bottom feet ones are on the side with the optical drive door so it can stand on its own.

I have two drives inside.

So you mean the on button will be facing the floor, and the pci ports and power lead will be facing the celling? How would this help air flow?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's exactly what I mean. That would help because hot air goes up. Not only would the fan be blowing air out the top, but the hot air escaping from the vents will pull in cooler air from below. This is how the G4 Cube and slot loading G3 iMacs cool themselves without a fan. One thing that would help the drive is to not keep them in the same cage. Put on under the optical drive cage and the other either in the hard drive cage near the back or in the optical cage. If putting one in the rear cage, put it on the outer mount so that air can get behind it better.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
That's exactly what I mean. That would help because hot air goes up. Not only would the fan be blowing air out the top, but the hot air escaping from the vents will pull in cooler air from below. This is how the G4 Cube and slot loading G3 iMacs cool themselves without a fan. One thing that would help the drive is to not keep them in the same cage. Put on under the optical drive cage and the other either in the hard drive cage near the back or in the optical cage. If putting one in the rear cage, put it on the outer mount so that air can get behind it better.

Ah! thank you very much Intell! Sadly the handles on the bottom can't go on the side, but I'll think of something.

apple apple

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
I'm having a hard time looking up some good pics at the moment, but the heat issue was a common problem back in the day. Many a modder added a blow hole to the top of the case. If I remember correctly, it worked well.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
I'm having a hard time looking up some good pics at the moment, but the heat issue was a common problem back in the day. Many a modder added a blow hole to the top of the case. If I remember correctly, it worked well.

I've taken the front panel off and am fitting a fan on the outside blowing air into the mesh which go into the hard drives. It will be great!

Patth9

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007

What would you use to bore a hole and how big?

I'm also thinking my G4 Mdd is really feeling very warm as it comes out PCI end. I will take out one of the Hard Drives that I left in, but don't use. I also have only one optical drive that works; I will take the one out that doesn't work, perhaps this will help.

I know this thread was post in July 2014, but I'm sure eager to get a reply to my question.

Many Thanks to all who posted,
Patt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.