Extra hard drive suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OldSchoolMacGuy, Oct 31, 2012.

1. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Have a new mini coming today. Throwing a 500GB SSD in it which will be fine for everything I do on it. OWC kit to add it in addition to the factory 1TB drive. Question is, what to use the 1TB drive for? I already have an external USB drive for Time Machine backups. Already have a 2TB external for music, movies, etc. For that matter I have another dozen or more externals if I need more storage.

So what should I use the other internal drive for?

2. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Sell it on Craigslist or use for manual or CCC backups.

3. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Meh, they go for about $99 new (even less on sale) so I'd be lucky to get $50 on CL.

Might be usable for backup but why bother having a drive that's on and sucking power all the time if it's just for the occasional backup.

4. chown33, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

chown33 macrumors 604

You already have more HDs than you can use (the "dozen or more externals"). You're getting another one you don't know how to use. Figure out how to use the existing ones you can't use, then use the new one the same way.

If you can't figure out how to use the HDs you have, why do you think a new one will be any different?

I didn't see anything about off-site backups, so that may be a use. Or maybe it will only use some of your surplus of externals, so you still have a surplus, just a smaller one.

5. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Get a dock connector and only plug it in when you need it for back-ups or whatever. I have 4 external HDDs and only 2 are on at all times. 1 is for iTunes and one is for TM backups. The other 2 are for photos and video. So iturn them on when I am working on that stuff, otherwise, they just sit there turned off.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

I guess the question is, what should I do with it mounted internally. I work in data recovery and forensics. I have plenty of backups. I've got them everywhere from at home, to in the cloud, to stored remotely, to stored internationally. They're safe.

Other suggestions?

7. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

ahhh, I see what you are getting at now.

I would use it for pictures, but being a photographer hobbyist they can add up and fill drives quickly.

8. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Have about 80GB in my iPhoto library but it still easily fits on my main drive.

9. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I still say sell it. Since you have more drives than you need it would streamline your life and put cash in your pocket.