Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Hi All,

Im planning on buying a MAC Pro 2009 model, I would like to buy some extra harddisks and memory.
Is it recommended to buy this at the apple store, or will other brands work also?

Alex

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
DON'T BUY FROM APPLE!!!

Apple doesn't manufacture its drives so any drive will works with right interface. NewEgg is great place to buy!

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Hi All,

Im planning on buying a MAC Pro 2009 model, I would like to buy some extra harddisks and memory.
Is it recommended to buy this at the apple store, or will other brands work also?

Alex

Whatever you do - don't buy from Apple. You can put any SATA II HD in the Pro (I have WD Caviar Blacks) and RAM from places such as NewEgg is going to be much cheaper than Apples. Apple rip you off on both.

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks. any suggestions for the memory modules? what speed/type is supported?

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Thanks. any suggestions for the memory modules? what speed/type is supported?

DDR3 PC3-8500 unbuffered ECC. How much depends on the model you buy.

If you want to see some real performance, buy a Solid state drive and use it for the OS & applications.
Loading times are a fraction of what you see with a hard drive.

I'd recommend a OCZ Vertex, IBM or Crucial model with a 3.5" drive bay adaptor.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Whatever you do - don't buy from Apple. You can put any SATA II HD in the Pro (I have WD Caviar Blacks) and RAM from places such as NewEgg is going to be much cheaper than Apples. Apple rip you off on both.

I agree you can get better prices from third parties - but ripping off is a bit strong - Apple charge a premium for its kit as its covered in applecare and also they are shipping parts they have tested to work 100% as designed. I myself buy third party for my RAM and HDD's but not because apple is ripping me off - just because I am wanting to keep down the cost and I accept the potential issues (ref Seagate 1.5TB disks at first)...

Not flaming just making a point :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I agree you can get better prices from third parties - but ripping off is a bit strong - Apple charge a premium for its kit as its covered in applecare and also they are shipping parts they have tested to work 100% as designed. I myself buy third party for my RAM and HDD's but not because apple is ripping me off - just because I am wanting to keep down the cost and I accept the potential issues (ref Seagate 1.5TB disks at first)...

Not flaming just making a point :)

Actually, warranty is better from 3rd party. If you buy from Apple, it'll be 1 year or 3 years with AppleCare but if you buy from vendor, it'll have warranty that the manufacturer promises and in most cases it's over 3 years. And you have more choices too because Apple only use certain drives in Mac Pro and they may not be your favorite etc.

sammax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Any idae what models of ram modules and hardisks they are using?
Im interested how much it will cost me to buy the exact same products at another shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.