Extra license for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by I am Sampson, Dec 9, 2007.

1. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Hi, I currently own a 1st gen macbook pro with tiger on it, I'm thinking about buying a new iMac as well. As the iMac will come with a copy of leopard, I'd like to run that on my macbook pro too, as it'd be annoying not having the same OS on both.
    However, I suspect due to stupid copyright laws that I won't be allowed to use the copy of leopard I'll already have with my iMac on my macbook pro.
    Is there anyway I can pay a small extra fee to allow me to use the iMac discs on my macbook pro, or do I really have to buy the entire operating system again?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, as you suspected, it is illegal and you'd need to buy a second copy or you'd be violating the licensing terms. There are family packs that are a good option for situations like this, since it's $199 for 5 licenses instead of $129 for 1, but that won't really help you since you have 1 license already.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A Leopard license for your MBP will cost $129. The version you receive with your iMac will not install on your MBP.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why are copyright laws stupid? Should those who invest their time, talent, energy and money not be rewarded?

5. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Fair enough. Family pack no use as only need 1 extra copy, was kinda hoping for a way to "upgrade" the single license with the iMac to a double or famly pack thus saving money, but nevermind.
    License things are often very stupid (not always though) I agree people should get money for their work, but having to buy a product twice for the same customer is silly in my opinion, but if thats how it has to be, then thats how it has to be. Thanks guys.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I really don't want this to end up in the political forums, but if two people want to eat pie you don't buy one slice and copy it do you?

7. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I don't want to argue about it, sorry. Its just my opinion, I respect that others have theirs. Its not I want to give it to 2 people, thats clearly wrong, I just want to use it myself on 2 machines, but as I say, I follow the law, I was just hoping for an cheaper upgrade kind of solution. I wouldn't buy 2 pies when I only want to eat 1 in different rooms of my own house. ;)