Extra Partition Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ItzTheDish, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ItzTheDish macrumors newbie

Hey,

I did a quick search for threads pertaining to this issue, but didn't find any, so don't drill me too hard if there is one...

I just got a ps3 and want to use my lacie external on it for movies and other videos. I understand that I have to format part of my hard drive to Fat32.

Is it possible to use disk utility to add a partition to my exhdd without having to format it? To the looks of it, disk utility will allow me, but its got some funny verbiage in the description: "To ERASE and partition the selected disk...etc"

I appreciate speedy answers. Thanks

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Yes you can do this. In the disk utility window, select your LaCie disk on the left hand side and then choose the "partition" option. Since the disk is one large partition at this time, leave it set to "Current" and locate the small diagonal lines at the lower right hand corner of the partition; grabbing them and pulling up will allow you to make your current partition smaller. Drag the partition size to the size you want it, and then click the "+" sign at the bottom of the window; this will add a new partition. Choose the FAT32 option for this partition and then apply the changes.

3. ItzTheDish thread starter macrumors newbie

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003