Extra power lead in 2010 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xgman, Oct 10, 2010.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Is there a way to use one of the combo (sata+sata power) plugs in the optical bay to split off an extra sata power lead? It seems like once you plug the combo plug in you are out of options. I don't really want to have to use a sata extension cable to plug something in the optical drive if I start splitting off the combo plug.

Is there an easily accessed extra sata port on the 2010 MP motherboard like there is in the 2008 or do you start having to pull all sorts of stuff out to get to it?

The simplest solution for me would be to figure out how to get an extra sata power lead somewhere without having to mess up the combo plug that goes into the drive. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

I found this combo sata plug at the very bottom of this page. It seems to be a male to plugi into the combo plug lead in the optical drive bay:

http://www.cs-electronics.com/serial-ata.htm

I guess I could use this with some sort of power sata Y adapter?

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Are you just trying to get power (not concerned about the DATA signals on the optical bay backplane connector <name for the SATA + Power ends>)?

If so, then take a look at this type of SATA Y Splitter (plug it into the backplane connector, and you have 2x SATA Power ends to use). The Backplane Extension + SATA Power cables (need to be modded together), was so you could still get a DATA signal to the optical drive (i.e. those wanting to use an HDD/SDD in the bay), and still get power to another device (choice of SATA or Molex ends when you make the cable).

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

thanks. This should work since I do still need the data access, but need to split off for an extra power lead as well. . then all I need is a sata y power adapter. Apple makes it very hard to mod anything by combo'ing these connectors and not having any extra ones available.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is why I figured out how to get the cables needed to make what will do this (Backplane Extension Cable + Y Splitter) without voiding the warranty.

How To here. ;)