Extra ram now, MBP in september

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by diccen, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. diccen macrumors newbie

    Aug 17, 2006
    As some of you i'm waiting till september to buy my MBP as it is very likely to get the meromprocessor then. I was wondering if the ram you can put in your MBP today (like this http://www.mailamac.nl/index.php?ac...AMB6671G&sid=58aab12d4362eb5bf79cf273c87ba346) also can be used in the MPB with the meromchip.

    For those of you wondering why i wanna buy my ram before i even have my MBP, i'm going on a vacation in september and an empty visabill to start is more comfortable.
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    i can't imagine why the RAM wouldn't work. maybe someone here knows more than i do, but i imagine changing the chip (to merom) wouldn't affect what RAM is compatible or not.

    my gut would be saying to wait, though, until after i've made the computer purchase.

    logic vs. gut feeling... it's a tough one
  3. coastertux macrumors regular

    Jul 17, 2006
    Usually the price of technology falls as time moves forward so I don't see why you would buy now. When you get your MacBook you should either be able to get the same RAM for cheaper or something better for the same price!
  4. gothicx00 macrumors member

    Aug 7, 2006
    My bets go towards the merom using 667mhz DDR2, PC5300 SO-DIMM RAM just like the current Macbook and Macbook Pro. I say this because the only move they could make would be 1066mhz RAM on the SO-DIMM platform. This is highly unlikely, for two reasons: 1. PC5300 is only going down in price; 2. 1066mhz SO-DIMM RAM doesn't even exist yet.

    What coastertux said does make sense. It should go down in price between now and then. But I hope you have read up the differences between the merom and the yonah. There are benchmarks that prove there won't be much difference (at least on the PC side). The only thing you will be gaining by going with the merom is 64bit, and the fact that you will probably be in the window to get leopard for cheap or nothing (can't remember what the standard procedure for Apple, new os launches, and recently purchased hardware). But also realize that even though the OS will be 64bit, it'll still run 32bit software about as fast as the yonah. The only possible major gain in performance will be applications that are coded to take advantage of 64bit. And you'll probably be waiting as long for those as we all waited for UB binaries. Granted alot were availble early on, but we are all still waiting for a UB version of Photoshop. I'm willing to bet you'll have to wait till CS4 for 64bit support as well.

    So take all those things into consideration whilst you wait for a merom Macbook/Macbook Pro.

Share This Page