Extra SATA ports on new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjcook, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jjcook macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm that there are two (or more?) extra SATA ports on the new mac pro, like there were on the previous model?

From what I understand, Apple never advertised this, and thus I've been unable to find anything about it in the literature for the new Mac Pro.

Thanks.

2. G4DP macrumors 65816

They never advertised it before, but there are probably 6 SATA ports as there were on the last model.

Can someone go into System profiler and let us know please?

3. 65StangBoy macrumors member

I just posted this in another thread but I'll post here too. The service manual shows that those two ports are still present. However, the manual states that it is based upon pre-production hardware. It's possible, although highly unlikely, that they've removed them for the production machines.

4. jjcook thread starter macrumors newbie

5. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if you can use of these 2 SATA connector and put a SATA drive below the superdrive instead of using the Ultra ATA 100 connector that sits in the optical drive?

6. 65StangBoy macrumors member

I can't say for sure with the new Mac Pro's. With the old one's you can use them in OSX but they don't show up in Windows without doing a lot of work. I think we'll have to wait for someone to rip into their new machine to find out for sure.

7. newtech macrumors 6502

The new board is virtually the same layout as the prior 8X board aside from 5400X chipset in place of the 5000X chipset, speed bumped FSB and rotated ( 180 deg. ) Riser A. The 3.2 also adds a vertical heat piped heat sink on the northbridge chip due to the proximity of the hotter running processors.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I just want to know what kind of modern, nearly $3000 computer doesn't have eSATA ports (for that matter none of Apple's products have eSATA support)?

Cheers,

9. newtech macrumors 6502

eSATA is just a matter of extending a SATA port out of the case with a ruggedized connector. There are kits to do just that for the MP and cards that add SATA/eSATA ports.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I understand but for $3000 I'd like it to be included, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

11. timish macrumors regular

jesus I want a cappucino machine and a happy ending too for that kind of coin but come on now....enough is enough.

As stated the hardware is cheaply available to "customize" your machine to your liking.

Maybe I don't want an ESATA port on my machine? Why should I pay extra for something YOU want.

FYI, they don't advertise the extra two SATA ports so consider that a FREE bonus for your purchase.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Are you kidding! :confused: I love Macs but some of this "just take whatever Apple gives you" attitude is beyond my understanding. I understand Apple provides style & power throughout their product line but come on some of us want some of the extra niceties (more video card choices, eSATA, integrated TV tuners, etc) for our premium payment. I know some of these 'nice to haves' might add some cost but give me a break, Apple has the highest profit per unit in the industry.

All I'm saying is adding a couple of eSATA ports to the MacPro (and the MBP) won't impact their profit and might encourage someone on the fence.

I just don't understand some of Apple's design decisions but I am more baffled by the rabid response from some Apple community members if anyone dare suggest an improvement or two.

Cheers,

13. Blogger macrumors 6502

Well I agree about the eSATA ports. The Mac Pro should have them in addition to Firewire 800, 400 and USB.

It's really not difficult to add an eSATA PCIe card though, so it's not a show stopper.

Where we disagree is on loading it down with TV tuners etc.. Perhaps the iMac would be a candidate as it is more likely to be used as a consumer machine and has less expansion options than the Mac Pro.

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah the other stuff was just my example of stuff Apple could provide across the product lines. I just was annoyed at the "be glad Apple gives you anything attitude". No tuner needed on the MacPro. :)

Cheers,

15. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Well its also worth noting the whole industry hasnt really adopted eSata all that much. There arent a whole lot of machines out there with it at all. Sure it be nice if they added it for those who want it. At the same time if what is talked about serves true we could see this Firewire 3200 or USB 3 and then eSata is back at the end of the line. I deal with thousands of customers and I dont see a whole lot of interest in eSata. So I can see where they thought it wasnt an essential as well as many others who havent.

Kevin :apple:

16. timish macrumors regular

Hey sorry if my reply was a little abrasive.

I guess for me these are my priorities:

A machine with a large RAM ceiling (32GB or more like current)
    No windtunnel cooling system
    Expandability for drives and no limit on drive storage size
    Industrial strength design
    Plenty of slots to add what I want, and things OTHERS want.
    Socketed processors

I don't need the other crap, but that's just me.

Engineer me a machine like above and that's about as futureproof as you can get.

The Mac Pro has that in spades and any other item, such as Esata ports can be added.

I'd rather take the initial higher hit price wise for a well engineered computer that will last for years and allow all the kibbles and bits down the road that Apple didn't see as a priority on engineering in.

17. Blogger macrumors 6502

eSata is pretty common now, and judging by my experience of trying to get multiple external hard drives working on the single, multi speed (but slowed down to 400 if you connect anything 400) Firewire bus on the first Mac pro, more than useful.

I have four internal drives and two external eSATAs, run off a Seritek card. They've been far more reliable than Firewire, which incidentally wasn't my experience in the PPC world. Not bootable, though as yet, but I use multi-format drive housings for those occasional Firewire boots.

Apart from that, I only use Firewire for audio, at which it does exceptionally well.

18. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

eSATA is what *pros* want and this is a *pro* machine. They should be included IMHO. They are, however, cheap to add. I'll probably be doing that soon.

19. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

It is a god sent gift that you dont work for apple,or hopefully any other computer manufacturer. Not only would you bankrupt them but you would piss of the clients too.

Your "ideas of extra niceties" are exactly what pros or clients dont need! I personally,and most of the professionals that I know,would be enraged if their computers would come with TvTuners. Or just mildly pissed off if they would come with eSata slots.

Why?

They cost the clients allways some extra. Allways. No matter how small detail,let alone a large feature,the cost is transfered to the end client.

The clients want to configure their systems for their needs and dont want to pay a single dime extra for features that they dont need, let alone for features that might compromise the integrity and reliability of the system.

Would theese things be nice as BTOs? Hell yes! But your idea of making them "nice to haves" is...well......

Do you really think apple would like to cut it´s profits?? Honestly..sheesh....

But all *pros* dont want or need eSata. Do you ecept them to coin up and pay for your needs? I personally would need them,but I really dont think other people have to pay for my needs.
    I also *need* HDimport cards,raid systems,wacom tablets and a candy dispenser.
    I would loved to have ordered my MP without HDD and memory. Thats why the 3rd party vendors are for. But apple understandably wants some of my money too..

Wouldnt it be beneficial for everyone if the barebone would be affordable and stripped from everything with a price to match that. Then you could customize the ***** out of it,adding you TvCards and candy dispensers, and paying for them yourself.
    Agree?

20. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Sata does not become eSata just by adding a cable. ESata supports hot swap, MP's extra sata ports do not.

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Uh no.

If you spent the time to read the subsequent messages and actually parse my original post (which wasn't as clear about the "entire product line" message, but come on, the TV Tuner thing is obvious a consumer item). you would see I was just mentioning a few items that it might be nice if Apple added in their more expensive products (Pro or consumer).

I do agree a BTO option would be fine for the more esoteric add-ins like Tuners on iMacs.

All I asked for and should be free to expect on a $3000+ machine was a couple of eSATA ports. No one is going to complain about the presence of a couple of eSATA ports be needlessly added to inflate the cost of the unit.

First of all eSATA really shouldn't be a nice to have. Many manufacturers are including the ports, especially since many motherboard makers, Intel included, are building the ports into their products. eSATA would not add any significant cost and certainly wouldn't impact the design of the box.

Bankrupt Apple by adding eSATA, :rolleyes: you've got to be kidding! Apple is sitting on so much cash from their very profitable businesses, to have their OEM motherboard manufacturer add eSATA wouldn't even be a line item. For all you know, they had to pay extra to remove the ports from an Intel reference design.

Second, Apple wouldn't need to charge anymore for the unit so the point it moot.

This is just more of the irrational "be happy Apple gives you a nice computer and don't ask for, nor expect anything other than what Apple deems appropriate ... or else!" responses to anyone having a bit higher expectations from our friends at Apple.

As perviously stated, I love Apple products, I own many and have purchased thousands of units throughout my career and never, ever have I stopped and said "o' look Apple's added too many features for their high price" (less of an issue now but back in the day you paid a much higher premium for Apple goodness). I'd just like to see the occasional modern convenience, port or new feature included (or in some cases as a BTO) on the high end (Pro or Consumer) Apple products.

Cheers,

PS: Adding eSATA to a MacPro should not be an divisive issue. It's just the right thing to do in MY opinion, which, I thank God I'm entitled to. Obviously Apple (and their fanatical apologists) have every right to disagree.

22. Blogger macrumors 6502

Mark my words, we WILL see built in eSATA on the next Mac Pro and it IS a desirable feature on a machine in this class.