Extra Service Fees?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mason1, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Mason1 macrumors member

Ive never had an iPhone or even a phone close to it. So recently I was about to buy one but then I found out about the new ones possibly coming out. So like everybody else I have been waiting for tomorrow for a long time. Tomorrow will probably be the day where I decide if Im getting an old on or a new one (I want to see what they will drop the price of the old ones too).

But anyways somebody told me that with phones like these you get charge an extra fee every month (I think he said $40). Just because of the phones capabilities. Is this true or does your bill actually cost around the same as the plan you signed up for?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

no...

Unlimited data: $20

Includes 200 texts, unlimited internet, visual voicemail

Unlimited data w/ 1500 texts: $30

Unlimited data / unlimited texts: $40

3. Mason1 thread starter macrumors member

On AT&T's site it shows the $59.99 plan includes unlimited data, internet and voicemail. So if I signed up for that plan then I should be right around $60 a month if I dont use more minutes? besides the first month when they charge the activation fee.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's about right. We average about $239-$249 per month or $62.25 per phone per month. We share 1400 minutes, unlimited text msg, unlimited data for (3) iPhones, (1) Blackberry, Unlimited M2M, early 7pm-7am M-F unlimited v. 9pm-7am. :cool:

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If it does indeed have GPS, will that be an extra service fee? How do current phones with GPS work? Is it just part of the data plan?

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

We will probably see the same rates on the new iPhone. If not, i could only imagine the plan raising $5 in price with GPS included.

GPS is usually in cell phone plans, but since 3G is what is being used most the time, that will be the base price. And since 3G isn't nationwide in America, they can't really charge people for 3G if they don't even get coverage.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

GPS is a free service; all you need a radio for it; Assisted-GPS is not actually GPS, it's cell tower triangulation--and it uses data; so in way you have pay for A-GPS, but regular GPS is free; also all plans include unlimited data on 3G or not; I have an iPhone plan, but I don't own an iPhone; I can use 3G with a 3G phone, I can use EDGE, etc.

And those prices listed for $59.99 is really just $39.99 + $20. Because you have to get data, so they don't separate the two.

9. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

I have the 59.99 plan, and my bill actually comes out to $66 and change most months.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs_agps_a_quick_tutorial.html

"This story of aGPS so far seems fairly reasonable and straightforward, but alas it is not. See aGPS is not some monolithic, written-in-stone-standard. In fact, Qualcomm, who makes the most popular aGPS chips (called GPSOne) has four different possible configurations for aGPS. How aGPS is actually implemented on the device appears to be up to the device OEM/cellular carriers.

These 4 options are:

* Standalone - Your handset has no connection to the network, and uses only the GPS satellite signals it can currently receive to try and establish a location.

* MS Based - Your handset is connected to the network, and uses the GPS signals + a location signal from the network.

* MS Assisted - Your handset is connected to the network, uses GPS signals + a location signal then relays its 'fix' to the server, which then uses the signal strength from your phone to the network towers to further plot your position. You can still maintain voice communication in this scenario, but not 'Internet/Network service' ie Web Browser, IM, streaming TV etc..

* MS Assisted/Hybrid - Same as above, but network functionality remains. Normally only in areas with exceptional coverage."