Extra ssd space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Aimson, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Aimson macrumors newbie

I'm just a regular user, wanting to buy the 13" MBA, not sure whether to opt for the 256GB version or the 128GB obviously yes it does depend on me, but this will be my own machine replacing my current windows machine, is £215 worth it for the extra 128GB, i have 30GB on my iPhone of Music etc, so that would leave me with like 80GB if i had the 128GB so i reckon the 256 would be better. or an external hard-drive, how much power will it take to actually power an external USB, will the battery life depriciate very quick?

Also if i had a time capsule can i access this from a different network?

After education pricing the base 13 is £945 and the higher 13" is £1160, what you all think?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Have The 256

And even that requires space management. Go for the larger one. Over time new larger and cheaper SSD's will become available. 128 just isn't going to cut it for you.

3. Aimson thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on selling it IF Ivy Bridge is such a massive improvement, it not probably wait till Haswell or Broadwell! doubt just USB 3.0 will make me sell the current one and get the new one, i don't play games often, only flash games or football manager.. Will there be a thunderbolt hub with USB 3.0 built in? that would be good :)

4. iaymnu macrumors 6502

IF you plan on selling then the 256gb will probably sell quicker.
    If you can afford to upgrade to the higher SSD there is no debate over it.
    I think no one will complain that they have too much space. ;)

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

With things you can't easily upgrade, its best to afford the highest spec you can afford at the time.

6. Aimson thread starter macrumors newbie

Depends when Ivy Bridge would come out, whens it due for MBA's? not while July i heard but what you lot think? Probably go into my local apple store and pick one up, just looking at the performance compared to the 15" god its quick! haha! im on a Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4Ghz lmao..

7. lukekarts macrumors regular

I say go for the 256GB. I did exactly the same, albeit I have 80gb of music. But still, it would have fitted but leave me with no headroom whatsoever.

You will still get more re-sale value for the 256GB regardless of whether SSD tech gets cheaper or not, and I don't think there's any issue of it becoming obsolete when IvyBridge comes out - these things are always hyped before release but realistically it'll be the same difference between the old Core i's and the SB Core i'5. Nice to have but only really noticable in benchmarks.

You've already acknowledged the benchmarks look fast - and actual peformance of this laptop is blisteringly quick. Even compared to a comparable spec PC, the MBA is a really quick machine, responsive, quick to start up, quick to open/load everything. It's going to take a drastic improvement in processor technology to make a difference that you'll notice, especially if you're not a CPU intense user.

8. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

We went for the 256Gb SSD in our new Air as even with out main music library/videos/photos etc being on our new iMac the whole having to manage 128Gb just didnt appeal.

Not only that but better erring on the side of caution your better with too much space than not enough.

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I just took the 128GB version and use a 2.5" external drive as well. I keep my iTunes library on my MBA and leave my movies, and backups of my important stuff on the external. My current iTunes library is around 40GB, for the stuff I use it for, the space hit for my music is really no big deal. Still considering upping it with a higher capacity OWC drive but that might have to be my christmas present, depending on what the next gen reveals.

10. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I bought the 128Gb at first but exchanged it for a 256Gb a week after. IMO, it worth it.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Does anyone know how much space is available when you get the machine. I.E. How much of the 128gb does the OS take. Like does it take 28gb leaving you 100gb for your stuff?

12. scarred macrumors 6502a

You have about 106gb free out of the box.

13. Thunder82 macrumors 6502