Extra Storage - MBP Retina 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tuttifrutti, Oct 30, 2018.

1. tuttifrutti macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I have a Transcend 256GB Jet Drive permanantly installed on my MBP Retina 2015 which I keep the bulk of my docs, pics, music etc on.

At the mo, it's about three quarters full and I can see it filling a lot more quickly now as i've got into my photography a lot more and store a lot more images.

I've looked on the Transcend website and cannot see any larger Jet Drives than 256GB which is a little disappointing.

So, are there any other trustworthy storage cards like this one, out there, that I can buy to increase my storage more, to either 512GB or maybe even a terabyte?

Thanks all in advance.

Ian

2. tuttifrutti thread starter macrumors newbie

3. tuttifrutti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for that Max.

I was under the impression that you not install extra memory in my model, hence the reason for having to use a jetdrive?

4. tuttifrutti thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi chabig- could you steer me towards a link for an actual 1tb plug in card as I can't seem to find it on that page

Thanks very much

5. chabig macrumors 603

6. tuttifrutti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks chabig - unfortunately they are not plug in cards like a jet drive. They are portable ones. I was looking one to slot in to the SD card slot and stay there permanently

7. chabig macrumors 603

Sorry. I didn’t realize you’re looking for an SD card. I would steer away from SD storage. It’s not so reliable. Make sure you are diligent about backing up.

8. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

Yes. I was lucky to find the Intel 760p 1TB for $249 plus $19 for the adapter is much cheaper than the same storage space from OWC or JetDrive.

9. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

Are there any performance issues using this over an OEM drive?

10. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

It's actually a little faster than OEM according the BlackMagic speed tests.

11. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

But doesn't your battery usage increase and it runs hotter as well?