Extra Windows boot option

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mrmullad, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Mrmullad, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

Mrmullad macrumors member

Mrmullad

hi all I have a 2015 iMac and as I need Windows I purchased an Samsung external SSD and installed Windows on it on first boot I find 2 Windows boot options then installed drivers from bootcamp upon second boot I find 3 Windows boot options 2 Windows and one Windows EFI anyone know why?.
    Thanks in advance Dell
    Sorry forgot to say it boots fine from Windows EFI not checked the others.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

EFI Windows has the normal Windows partition that holds Windows and all your files, an EFI boot partition, and a recovery partition. Windows 10 upgraded from 8/8.1 has an additional EFI boot or recovery partition--I can't remember which, because the original partition created by 8 is too small for 10.

I typically see 2 Windows entries at boot time. One will boot properly, I believe this is the EFI boot. The other will not, it leads to a black screen with white text telling me no bootable partition found. Occasionally I see a third entry, but it goes away. I'm not sure why that shows up from time to time but also goes away. I think it has to do with Windows updates, but that is pure speculation.

I ended up installing rEFInd. It is WAY faster than holding ALT/OPTION at startup, and you can also hide any extraneous entries. I'm very happy with it and never going back.

3. Mrmullad thread starter macrumors member

Mrmullad

Thanks for reply I have checked and first Windows will not boot second boots to Windows 10 the third is Windows EFI and boots to Windows 10 so I would think the second one must be booted in bios but I would like to get rid of the first if possible.