Extract DVD > Edit > Create DVD without loose quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by umbilical, Oct 31, 2011.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, maybe this question it was made a lot times but I can find a real solution and which apps use for do it:

1. I extract a dvd (just the main movie), so I go the VIDEO_TS folder:
    [​IMG]

I need open that or convert all in one single file for EDIT! in a app for cut parts of the movie.

Later create chapters and a menu in a final DVD. BUT!!!!! without loose the original quality of the source.

whats the more simply way to do it, you know I dont need make a pro edition and create a pro menu for create a dvd for universal pictures or something like that, I just have some music bootlegs DVDs that have the entire concert in one movie without chapters and with some bad parts for cut...

I just need a simple app for OPEN The DVD > EDIT > add chapters marks > create a simple menu and render, compile or wherever name without loose quality.

I remember use iDVD with poor results in the past, loosing quality.

any help please?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

4. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you, i go to test all, idvd i dont know but i feel that lose the quality when render, but maybe i make a bad step.

----------

thanks too, as you see my english sucks :D

5. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

about mpgstreamclip why Apple Intermediate Codec? and no other? and other options like "better downscaling" etc... ??? 720x480 dv-ntsc or unscaled? etc...?

in conclusion: best settings for export without lose quality?

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Because AIC or ProRes are Apples native editing codecs. You can import the files directly into iMovie, QT or FCE/P/X without any further transcoding, thus keeping quality as high as possible.

7. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

great, and the other settings?

8. simsaladimbamba

Because AIC is the editing codec for iMovie, and a .mov file using AIC is imported into iMovie without further transcoding, thus the .mov file will work without problems between iMovie and iDVD, and since you want to create chapters, that is important.

And as video DVDs already use a highly compressive codec called MPEG-2, AIC is also the best choice, as you don't lose quality, whatever quality there is to begin with.

Settings should be set as in the guides I linked to or the following screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    In short, again:
    Compressor: AIC
    Sound: Uncompressed
    Frame Size: Unscaled

9. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, just one last thing... about the size, my original dvd is 720x480 NTSC
    so i choose 720x480 unscaled?

see all my window:
    [​IMG]

10. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

11. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks i dont want disturbing you, hehe but whats the difference between 720 dv-ntsc vs upscaling?

12. simsaladimbamba

UPSACLING means, wherever you see that in the settings, that the original resolution gets enlarged, thus you lose image quality.
    Use UNSCALED, but not DV-NTSC, due to NTSC' poor DV quality due to several, more complicated, reasons.
    UNSCALED and AIC is the best choice, I used it without problems.

13. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

great! thank you I go to export and later edit in imovie ;) I still have my doubts about idvd compression etc... but im close ;)

14. simsaladimbamba

iDVD needs to transcode and compress the footage, if you want a DVD. There is no way around it.

15. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes about idvd, maybe i just export in iMovie to .avi or .mkv

16. simsaladimbamba

Do you want to create a video DVD playable in a normal DVD player connected to your DVD?
    And iMovie does not support exporting as .mkv, I don't know about .avi though, but the codec selection might be abysmal for that.

17. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

well yes, for this i want play in a dvd player, so i need idvd

18. simsaladimbamba

Then exporting it as .avi or .mkv is not necessary or even possible, as you just can share the finished sequence in iMovie with iDVD, thus no transcoding process between the two is needed, and if you want to export from iMovie and import that export into iDVD, then use the .mov container with AIC as codec, but again, this is not necessary. If you use a www search engine, you will find plenty of guides on how to get a sequence from iMovie to iDVD, and it is rather simple. I guess the HELP menus in iDVD and iMovie also have something to say about this. This process is documented quite well, one just needs to look for it.

19. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you, really
    best wishes

20. careypo macrumors member

I would use 8 bit uncompressed if you want the very best quality. It requires Final Cut Pro to be installed however. Apple Intermediate Code is still highly compressed. I would not ever recommend using MPEGStreamclip as it will drop frames in your video, cause video sync issues, doesn't handle subtitles, and choke on many DVDs. The very best option in my opinion for ripping DVDs is DVDxDV.

21. simsaladimbamba

You really like that application, don't you?

Anyway, if you would have read the OP, you would have seen, that no "pro tools" are preferred, the simpler the better.
    Using FCP, which would mean at least 299 USD additional cost (or a used version), and also DVDxDV, which costs 89 USD, is far more expensive than the 20 USD for the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component, especially for what seems to be a ONE TIME job.
    And somehow you don't seem to use those free applications correctly, as I never had problems with MPEG Streamclip, at least not the ones you described, except the subtitles (which might not be important with a concert DVD). Though I ripped my video DVDs first, be it to remove the CSS or just to have faster access, as I used many DVDs, which had no CSS on them.

And UNCOMPRESSED is not necessary for editing a video from a video DVD, as it video DVDs are highly compressed anyway, and UNCOMPRESSED is just wasted storage capacity. AIC is an okay enough codec for the simple purposes the OP stated.

Btw, you really come off as SPAMMER, though only six posts (excluding the one in this thread) contain references to DVDxDV. That application might be really cool for media production companies and their uses, but for consumer uses, it is more than too much.

22. careypo macrumors member

Video compression is lossy unless there is no compression. That's why you use 8 bit uncompressed. It contains no compression and therefore there's no loss of any kind. AIC is still good, but it isn't the best. The question is what is the best quality for DVD.

There's nothing wrong with free solutions, but the question was how do you attain the best quality and have the least problems.

You can use anything you want, but I this is my recommendation.

23. simsaladimbamba

I understand, the solution just wasn't what the OP asked for.
    Though AIC involves another compression cycle, it is hardly, if even, visible, especially from a bootlegged source.

24. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmm i found something that dont match!

i open the movie in mpegstreamclip and show me this:

say 720 × 480 right? but why when I see the video in VLC show like a PAL 720x540?

check the screenshot in vlc:
    [​IMG]

confused, why i see a other size than statics say, even the same vlc statics say 720x480, but when play is other size

and by example when I have a PAL video why can choose "unscaled"
    just say 720x576(DV-PAL)

:confused:

25. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

by the way, now i import in imovie, and imovie is a piece of %@#%#@$#@ i hate it, is hard control the timeline with that yellow thing...

god! i just need a simple timeline like the quicktime and put markers! from here to here, from here to here... and that is! simple