Extract image / remove background from photo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by entatlrg, May 2, 2011.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

What's the easiest and best software for extracting objects / removing backgrounds from photo's?

I've used the Extraction Filter in CS3/4 for Windows. Looking into CS5 for Mac I learned they left out the Extraction Filter, it's only available in the Windows version.

Please suggest a good program for the Mac. I'm not looking for free software, good results and ease of use are most important.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

So far I've come across Pixlemator, Acorn, Adobe Elements and Photoshop CS5.

Anyone have experience removing backgrounds, extracting objects in any of the above?

3. macuser67812 macrumors newbie

photoshop is my best choice

photoshop has a number of selection tools. magic wand can be useful if background is mostly one colour. simple click on the background with this tool. If parts are not selected use shift to add to selection (and options to minus selection). You may be able to simply delete the selected area or use background eraser to delete background. Sometimes I need to use two of the eraser tools to finish the job.
    There are other selection tools to erase backgrounds with photoshop. All the best.