extract pictures from video/export video to pictures help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fud122, Sep 7, 2007.

1. fud122 macrumors member

My aunt recently visited family in Australia and she brought back 2 Video CDs (which my cousins made for her but did not include the original photos) that play in the home DVD player. They are just a slideshow movie of her pictures there but she wants the pictures as individual files and not in a movie slideshow as it is. I've gotten the movie files from the discs and I am trying to extract the pictures from them, first through Quicktime but it is not doing it properly (it will export the movie as an Image Sequence but with thousands of pictures). The slideshow has around 100 photos she took. Please how can I get pictures out of these movies? I've converted them to .mp4 movie formats hoping something on the mac can do this because I've had no luck in Windows. The hard long way is to pause the movie at every picture and Print Screen/Capture Screen then save that as a jpeg picture etc...but that is too many steps and time consuming. If there are any programs that can do this or if you know another way (free or for a reasonable fee) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Load the videos into iMovie, then play through, find a point where you like the picture, and do, Edit>>Make Still Frame (or something similar).

Now drag the stills made in iMovie to a folder.

Brian

3. CEH macrumors newbie

bmc...

maybe i am way off but that is not an option. I am trying to capture an image on imovie 08 too and cant seem to do it. There is no option under edit to capture a still frame. You can capture a 4 second still frame image to insert into a movie, but i cant figure out how to just capture an image and export it, say to iphoto.

if you know could you clarify please?
    thanks

4. mostchillin macrumors newbie

I've been frustrated trying to find out how to do something similar which is how I ended up on this site...

I have actual video that I'm trying to convert certain frames to a still image. I would have thought that iMovie could do this and have been given the same instructions as CEH. I don't have that option under "Edit" within iMovie...

I'm leaning towards purchasing QuickTime Pro b\c you evidently can do this with QTP... I'd like to find a way to do it with iMovie which I already have.

I hopeful someone will be able to shed some light. Thanks in advance.

5. mostchillin macrumors newbie

6. CEH macrumors newbie

i found out how...

So here is how you do it.

once you find the place you want to convert to a still frame you right click on it (or control click) and choose "add still frame to project" (or something very similar to that. then right click (CTRL click) on that still frame and choose "reveal in finder", the bottom most option. it is placed as a jpeg in a folder for ya. Sorry I am typing this really fast as I am on my way out, but I thought I should let a know since I found out how to do it....

thanks guys!
    C