Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Wondering if any of you guys can help me. Basically my iphone 4 is really not as fast as it once was. Camera app takes a good 5-10 seconds to open, when im re-arranging my icons, there is a few seconds delay between holding down an icon and actually being able to re-arrange, and when i press the home button when im done, again its pretty laggy. Just in general, things seem to be quite a bit slower.

The thing that is stopping me from just restoring and starting fresh is my application data. I have quite a few save games that I dont really want to lose.

Now, I am not currently jailbroken, so I was wondering if there was maybe a way to do it with the iTunes backup files.

I know you can do it via SSH if you are jailbroken, but when the process is all done, I dont really want a fresh fast iphone that is jailbroken.

Is there a possible way of doing this?

kendo88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Ahh thats not good. Its frustrating, I dont care about my sms, or email, or contacts or anything of that stuff, anything important is all stored in the cloud, the only thing stopping me from restoring is my app data. Hopefully apple will one day change the way this is handled

kendo88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Would it not be possible to use an application like iphone backup extractor, and extract the data for the applications I want.

Then restore the iPhone, and make a fresh backup, and then copy the app data into the new backup?

kendo88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
ahh ok, found the problem with that. I can extract the data from the backup, but there is no way to put it back into a backup. think I may have to give up with this

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
When you do a backup and restore from backup, data travels with the backup. What are you trying to do exactly?

There's no reason for you to lose your app data.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
When you do a backup and restore from backup, data travels with the backup. What are you trying to do exactly?

There's no reason for you to lose your app data.

I understand what the OP is doing. From time to time I like to refresh all my systems (OSX included) since files pile up and can get corrupted over time. Sometimes it's nice to just start anew. And if that's the goal, he can't restore from backup.

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
You can use apps such as backupextractor. Just keep in mind when you restore you data, it has to already exist. So for example, if you are restoring game data and it writes a save file and a pref file you have to start that game first on the restored phone and let it create those files.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
I was using an app called iPhone Backup Extractor. I was having no problem extracting the data, but how do I insert it back into the new backup?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This is one of the most glaring holes in the way that itunes handles app data. Sure it's great if you have the technological brains of a gopher, but if you want to do a clean restore and keep your save data. It is literally impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.