Extracting archive to folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KwakaFB, Jun 3, 2011.

1. KwakaFB macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm a newbie OS X user and a recent convert from Windows trying to find my way around. :D
    In Windows I would have WinRar installed and I'm used to right clicking and the zip or rar file extracting to a folder in the same name as the archive.
    Is there such functionality in OS X or with another app, as at the moment it extracts it so the same level as the archive and I would prefer a new folder.

TIA.

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Control + Click the file and it will give you the context menu you are used to in windows, you should see an option there to extract. Otherwise you can just double click it and it will by default extract to the folder the archive is in.
    Not so sure if .rar is supported natively, but there are apps for mac to do the same as WinRar.

3. KwakaFB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I can extract it no problem, but if the archive is called test.zip I want it to extract in to a folder called test with all of the files in there.
    Winrar does this with a right click and I'm looking for the same functionality if possible.

4. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

If you select the file then click the "cog" icon on your toolbar, it will give you some options on what to do with the file. Sorry, I'm on the road and my MBP is at home, so I'm trying to wing it here. :D

5. KwakaFB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but that's exactly the same as the right click isn't it? And there a no options in there that say "extract to" or anything like that.
    If I double click on the file it extracts it automatically so I don't get any options there either. Basically I want full control over where it extracts to.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The only default way of doing that (that I know of) is to make a new folder and put the archive in it before extracting it. There are probably third party apps that will do what you want though. Most archives made for Mac are disc images (.dmg) and when double clicked mount with the contents contained within the disc image.

7. KwakaFB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but I'm talking about zip's generally as I run a few vBulletin forums and many of the mods and packages are in zip format. I don't want them all unpacking in the same folder. It will be a right mess.
    Does anyone know of any tools that do this? I'm really missing it. :rolleyes:

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Perhaps The Unarchiver can do it. I haven't tried it, so I don't know, but you could give it a go. :)

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe Stuffit Expander (was on every Mac back in the days before OS X) can do what you'd looking for with .zip files as well as other formats.

I don't have any experience with it, but since you mentioned using WinRAR, how about RAR for Mac OS from the same company that does WinRAR.

10. KwakaFB thread starter macrumors newbie

RAR for Mac OS is command line only unfortunately. :(
    I've just tried The Unarchiver but that doesn't do it, but I have just asked the developer of that to see if he would consider adding it as a feature.

In the attachment you'll see the extract to test\ option that's what I'm on about. It will always create a folder in the exact name of the archive and extract it in to that. Very useful when you have multiple versions of programs.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Loving the Mac in every other respect.

Attached Files:

11. DewGuy1999, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, I just tried it with the Stuffit Expander that I've got here from 2003 (so I imagine that the current version still does it) and if an archive contains multiple items it expands them into a folder named after the archive.

Edit: If the archives are named the same the output folder name is appended with .1, .2, etc.

12. KwakaFB thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'll give that a go. :D