Extracting audio from a movie dvd help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Hi.

I'm more of a musician/home studio recordist.

I know nothing about what can be done in terms of dvd's or any movie applications, mainly because my last system was 10 years old...this is new to me.

Over the years, I have collected audio samples from cheesy B movies recorded on my vcr and then (doing it the hard way) record the bits I wanted via the analog outs of the vcr into my computers audio interface.

My question is, now that I have this new fangled macbook.....

Can I take a regular commercial dvd, (in this case, 50 scifi & horror classics)....stick it into my dvd drive, play it and when I find bits of audio I want, extract it?

I do have Logic Studio, which included a Quicktime Pro license, if that matters.
    Or can you do this in iDVD?
    Or, do I need an application like 'Audio Hijack'?
    Or, I also downloaded a similar free product, called Soundflower thats supposed to do the same thing and then "hijack" the audio from the dvd player into Soundtrack Pro, for instance?

Thanks for any guidance here :)

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

audio hijack is your friend.

by rogue media or along that line. google audio hijack and you'll be one happy guy pumping Dvd after Dvd into your computer for those soundbites :)

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. :) To help me understand.....are you saying its simply a matter of inserting the dvd into my drive, playing it and audio hijack will take care of targeting just the audio?

I can understand getting the audio from internet streams in iTunes because they're just audio and not a movie.

Obviously I can open a QT movie in Logic or Soundtrack Pro but I don't know if that applies to commercially made dvds. I usually need help in pinpointing where to go.....pointing me in the right direction so I can immediately go to the right places within the many thousands of pages of manuals! :D

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

it's really simple Wie. you open AH first, then your DVD player. then tell AH what application you're going to capture from....set your DVD player to the spot, record in AH, play in DVD player....recorded.

trust me...the UI is really simple to use.

cheers,
    Keebler

5. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, Keebler. I understand now. Thanks for your help, man!
    I'll see if I have enough in the ol' paypal account. :)

(later that day......)

Cool, I bought it.